Trip Report Galapagos on the Calipso Liveaboard-January 20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone been there in June? I’m leaving for my trip shortly. I’ll be on calipso on 9 June for 8 days.

I was just diving Galapagos on the last week of April 2022 and it was great. The big schools of hammerheads around Darwin/Wolf had just appeared (only a handful were seen the previous week), very strong currents, but the water temp out there was still reasonably warm (24-25 C, 75-77 F). Saw 2 whale sharks out there too which is unusual for late April.
The other sites were colder (16-19 C, 61-66 F) and I'm glad we only did 2 dives per day at those.

@Waltham - Be sure to take gloves with strong fingers! There was a lot more holding onto rocks/barnacles than I expected. It was my first time to dive in gloves, but I was so glad to have them (for finger protection more than warmth).

That’s all mine were and they were fine. It’s more about gripping rocks than keeping your hands warm.

Hi Rob, thanks for the very helpful post!

I have a question on the booking process with Calipso.
Did they make you pay through Stripe.com?

They sent me two invoices -- one via email directly from the sales person, and a second one from the online payment platform Stripe.

On Stripe, the the recipient address is in Toms River, New Jersey, and the email is soy_tavin@hotmail.com.
That seems a bit strange so I just want to double check with you.

They sent me two invoices -- one via email directly from the sales person, and a second one from the online payment platform Stripe.

On Stripe, the the recipient address is in Toms River, New Jersey, and the email is soy_tavin@hotmail.com.
Our local dive shop owner put the trip together so we just paid him. I just emailed him to ask if he remembers the payment process. If he answers, I’ll let you know. I do remember the Tom’s River being mentioned.

Our LDS owner doesn’t remember off the top of his head but he will look. Six of us also did one on Calipso’s excursions. I chose to pay directly through Catalina with my credit card. She was a Calipso sales agent. I was not comfortable with nor did I totally understand the other payment option…which I can’t remember. I’d confirm with your sales agent how they will accept payment. If the dive shop owner remembers or finds his payment process, I’ll post it for you.

I was meant to do a review but failed. I was on Calipso for a week in June 2022. As has been said before the crew are great. Attentive but not in your face and always wanting to help out (with a smile). A clip broke on my fins mid trip and they didn’t have a spare that fitted. I figured I’d be using their fins for the duration but no I came out of the water to find they had taken a clip apart to use the part to fix mine. No charge.

Food is good considering you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Always fresh and tasty. Warm towels and cocoa waiting after every dive. Always hand with tricky zips and getting in your wet gear.

Cabins are clan and warm. Showers sand bathrooms all good. I really could not fault the boat or the crew. That said you are expected to tip 10% of the price of your ticket. I bet that it’s a tip culture and the crew work hard for the money but it takes me years to save up for a trip like this so just conjuring up another $400+ isn’t easy.

Dives were good apart from the first day. I forget where the first day was spent but it was Uber dull. But from then on every dive was awesome. Toms of hammers around (if not a wall certainly up close and personal) plus Galapagos sharks etc. Must have seen 24 Hales sharks in the space of two days - three aim view at the same time at one point. Huges things the size of a bus. Two molas (albeit in limited viz there was no escaping what they were). Close enough to see their eyes but they are nervous animals and swim off if disturbed at all.

Bat fish, sea robins, rays of all sorts and sizes, turtles, and of course sea lions playing. The marine iguanas are special.

Safety stops it was common to have hammers and silky sharks below you, and dolphins above you.

The sea was cold and at one point I was wearing two wet suits and a rash vest. Nitro is worth being trained to use. And gloves are essential. The currents are strong so holding onto shark rocks is common.

Definitely recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom