Where to go in early Oct in Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I live in Shanghai and I am planning a dive trip in early Oct somewhere in Asia.
It seems not to be the best season in a lot of countries in Asia.
Do you have any recommendations what are the best picks during Oct in Asia?
We are looking for great visibility diving with large fish and pelagic species.
Would be great if the surrounding was pleasant aswell, like great beaches and jungle.
What comes to your mind?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Phil

Hi Phil,

There are so many options! My favorite destination is definitely Indonesia because it offers the best of both world; incredible muck dives and great clear blue water dives on lush reefs where you can admire sharks and rays.
Philippines is another great choice. In October you could do a liveaboard on the Siren to the world famous Apo reef.
What are you looking for by the way? Landbased or liveaboard diving? How many days? What is your budget?
I would personnally recommend Liveaboard as it will allow you to get to more remote places with less divers and more fishes!

Sabah, Malaysia.

It has all you want. Sipadan for tonnes of fish, sharks and turtles. Loads of great macro too at Mabul. Check out the: Sipadan video

Of course there is the option to do some great overland stuff including jungle tours: Here are some ideas

Of course there are other Asian destinations where you can combine diving with jungly experiences such as North Sulawesi and Thailand but I reckon Sabah would give you the best overall experience.

Good luck

thanks for the nice recommendations. livaboard sounds very interesting but in general is a little expensive since I am gong with my wife and all in all for a week incl. flights it's normally well above 2000 EUR per person. That's above budget.
Budget is rather something up to 1500 EUR per person.

We are going to Sipadan next month and figured it would be hard to find a similarly impressive location in Oct. Indonesia sound great.
Thought about Bunaken and Lembeh.

Would you recommend other locations in Indonesia to be more interesting than Bunaken and Lembeh? It also bothers me a bit that there seem to be less nice beaches.

Regards
PHil

sorry forgot to answer, that we are planning an 8 days trip.

Hi Phil,

I would recommend the specials from 10th to 16th September, SY Mandarin Siren.
What about a landbased option in the philippines? Check this page for resort operators in the area. Diving there is amazing and would definitely fit into your budget. Conditions are good all year around, with the best time being from October to March.
What do you think?

I will say Bali is the best combo topside and underwater trip. Since your wife is non diver; she'll love Bali.
Plenty of accomodation choice to suit your budget but probably difficult to stop her for shopping.
For UW Bali offer everything from muck diving, wreck, wall as well as pelagic. Early Oct. still possible for Mola2 - beware - big fish is typically strong current.
Bali is also good fur surfing.
Topside - you can find almost everything from spa, mountain climbing, jungle trekking, whitewater rafting, helicopter trip, camel/elephant riding, bungee jumping ect.

October - Okinawa is quite nice and we are just a short flight from Shanghai. Lots to do and great diving.

Hmm October still allows great conditions in Komodo and fits your bill for pelagics that I am afraid the Philippines rarely deliver any more unless you go to Tubbataha or Southern Leyte, but not in October! Sipadan does not really offer too many pelagic sightings but Komodo has many. Manta Rays in Manta Alley, sharks, dolphins, tuna can all be seen. There is muck diving and of course the Komodo Dragon on land.
The only real way to do it is via liveaboard though and not that many will do 8 day trips, shame that is all the time you have.
Search around and you will be suprised to learn you can pick up some good late deals. Komodo has quite a few boats operating within its waters so I would be suprised if they are all full.
The SY Siren operated by Worldwide Dive and Sail has space on the trip between 27th October to 6th November in their rear smaller cabin. I am sure if you wrote to them asking for a good price, they would make you a nice offer. They can be contacted at: info@worldwidediveandsail.com

facesofthesea
Stay in Style - Dive in Style

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom