Where to go in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I might be in Bali for 2 weeks at July or August.

I want to go diving. My wife does not dive and like nature and silence.

I thought maybe Tulamben is a good choice, but on the other hand if there is nothing at all, for sure it will be boring for my wife.

What is your ideas? Nature, silence, bungalow (not hotel) Not expensive max. 50-75 USD per night. But not the silence of a graveyard.....
Any recommendations?

You could do Tulemben for a few days but then it would be very boring for her. Really not much to do. Good news is that you shore dive & come back within an hour. You are lucky to get an internet connection & unless you are a diveaholic :D the few restaurants in town get boring after a few minutes. If youre really into nature you could be creative and hire a local with a motor bike to drive up around serya and amhed and use tulemben as a base of exploration. Also there is some very traditional culture there but it is mostly up in the mountains and the people are farmers.

I like Padangbai. It's a small vibrant town, on each side there is access to a beach, lots to do but only a small tourist strip. You can dive with "absolute scuba bali" which is a very professional joint and hit spots from nusa penida to tulemben. Actually their bungalow are midrange but nice & there is a nice pool. It is not a resort though & you have to walk a little ways to nature. A beach with snorkling is within walking range & the town has quite a bit of culture.

I have heard Ahmed might be a good solution - have never been diving there but it's worth doing a bit of research

I think she'd be happy at Candidasa but I don't think there is a dive shop there. Not sure. Lovina is a good base for Manjangang but it's kinda of a zoo.

I think Padangbai might be the best unless you decide to find a remote resort. There are tourists but no party scene, there is nature near by and there is local culture.

I'd suggest doing your last few days in Ubud - it's full of culture, vibrant art & shopping ;-). Don't miss Wyan at Bodyworks massage on Hanoman street - almost all drivers know where it is.

I'll be back there in July- August -maybe I'll see you at tulemben :D!

Thanks, will research on Padangbai...
I recall that I read somewhere on a blog (long time ago) that on Tulamben you can just rent a tank for 5 USD swim to the wrack and dive.
Is it really like that "free and easy"? Is it everywhere in Bali like that?

Thanks, will research on Padangbai...
I recall that I read somewhere on a blog (long time ago) that on Tulamben you can just rent a tank for 5 USD swim to the wrack and dive.
Is it really like that "free and easy"? Is it everywhere in Bali like that?

Nope - if you want to go true budget then it is a different story. Yes you can rent a tank for $7 in tulemben and swim to the wreck but of course it's better with a partner ;-).

If you want budget but comfort, go to the farthest north "resort" it's kinda run down but they have refurbished a few bungalows with AC etc. it's very peaceful perched in a coconut grove -but has seen better days. I love it there. the new bungalows are about $25 per night. It's called Puri Madha - the number in the Lonely Planet is wrong so best to just show up. rental gear is pretty sketchy & so rent tanks from the first dive shop you come to before you turn down the long road. It's just past the public dive access park.

If you want top notch - try absolute - airconditioned vans, videos to keep you entertained, new gear & a compressor that you can count on to be serviced. If you want cheap diving and wild west. Follow my above directions but don't be suprised if you meet a few 8 legged friends. The new bungalows are actually quite nice. If your wife doesn't need posh she might enjoy a few days of reading under the coconut trees ;-). It's extremely relaxing. I stay in the cheap $6 rooms :D. The dive prices in bali will probably be closer to $28-or $35 - maybe there is shore diving in Ahmed? I don't know???

If you get tired of diving at the wall/wreck in tulemben take a guide & local boat to surrounding sites. It's really cheap.

Have fun. We may be neighbors ;-) Feel free to PM me for any other advice. Most import thing is to understand that bali people love a great sense of humor & charging you more is a game. If I remember right their salary is about $3.50 us a day - so value your dollar - keep a sense of humor and bargain for almost everyting :D

Nope - if you want to go true budget then it is a different story. Yes you can rent a tank for $7 in tulemben and swim to the wreck but of course it's better with a partner ;-).

If you want budget but comfort, go to the farthest north "resort" it's kinda run down but they have refurbished a few bungalows with AC etc. it's very peaceful perched in a coconut grove -but has seen better days. I love it there. the new bungalows are about $25 per night. It's called Puri Madha - the number in the Lonely Planet is wrong so best to just show up. rental gear is pretty sketchy & so rent tanks from the first dive shop you come to before you turn down the long road. It's just past the public dive access park.

If you want top notch - try absolute - airconditioned vans, videos to keep you entertained, new gear & a compressor that you can count on to be serviced. If you want cheap diving and wild west. Follow my above directions but don't be suprised if you meet a few 8 legged friends. The new bungalows are actually quite nice. If your wife doesn't need posh she might enjoy a few days of reading under the coconut trees ;-). It's extremely relaxing. I stay in the cheap $6 rooms :D. The dive prices in bali will probably be closer to $28-or $35 - maybe there is shore diving in Ahmed? I don't know???

If you get tired of diving at the wall/wreck in tulemben take a guide & local boat to surrounding sites. It's really cheap.

Have fun. We may be neighbors ;-) Feel free to PM me for any other advice. Most import thing is to understand that bali people love a great sense of humor & charging you more is a game. If I remember right their salary is about $3.50 us a day - so value your dollar - keep a sense of humor and bargain for almost everyting :D
Thanks a lot!

I guess Padangbai or Ahmed will be my choice :D
Did you ever receive a FedEx or UPS envelope there? I might need to receive one from Europe.

For the rest: I stay in Bangkok and my wife is half Chinese half Thai, so the bargain will be hard :D:D

When I am there I'll watchout if I see someone looking like you (considering you look and be dressed like on your avatar :D:D)

spelling correction - shall be amed not ahmed - if you wish to google for more info.

other suggestion - stay at candi dasa and rent a car w/driver for your wife for sightseeing anywhere, will cost you much less than 2 dives

How is Candi Dasa?
I thought for rent a car.....She is used to the driving in Thailand, so it can't be a big problem...

That part of bali traffic is pretty mellow but I've never seen a street sign or very decent map-- so be good at navigation ;-).

Personally I wouldn't drive in Denpasar where you'd most likely pick up the rental, but I also wouldn't drive in BKK. The two are similar in some ways but I think BKK traffic is a little more intense.

Make sure to bring an international license if you go and plan on driving - just pick one up at AAA.

Keep in mind that that private drivers are plentiful & not sure the market right now but if I recall a driver and car cost about $30-$35 a day. Trips across the island that use more petrol cost more.

I'll check in with a DM friend in Bali about the possibility of shore diving in Amed. I'd to know if you find out anything.

H90
Candi dasa is located 10 - 15 minute drive east of from Padang Bai, more hotel and restaurant, more vibrant and live.
However, if you plan to self drive - practicaly you can stay anywhere in bali.
I visit Bali more than a dozen and always self drive. compared with bangkok, driving in bali is kindergarten; but important to understand the rythm.

Periplus release a nice and complete bali street map. I can give you more advise if you wish to rent a car and self drive in bali.

for diving in amed, typically using jukung (very small wooden outrigger cater 2 - 3 divers only) 5 to 10 minutes from shore. Amed is also good for snorkeling. we surfaced onshore after easy drift but not sure if we can do shore diving due to the current direction.

I stayed at Anda Amed hotel a couple of years ago; it's certainly acceptable. I didn't see a lot to do in Amed, but the hotel is a bit out of town. As stated, there's not much to do in Tulamben, either. I believe that Anda Amed is a twenty minute or so drive from Tulamben. Jukung Divers in Amed is more expensive than Tulamben Wreck Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom