where to get polyproplyene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i am new to drysuit diving, so I am looking for a little advice. i have one of the undergarments that ron sells on ebay (the 4 way stretch, not the thickest one). It works well with a long t-shirt or 1mm skin down to about the mid 60's. After that I start to get a tad cold. I know other people talk about using polypropylene underwear underneath the jumpsuits for added warmth, wicking. I really do not want to buy another undergarment for the coldest waters, so was thinking just added a little extra to what I already have to keep warm in these conditions. Where do people buy these articles and where are the best deals? Can you get them at Cabellas or Dicks, Rei, etc.

Can you get them at Cabellas or Dicks, Rei, etc.

Yes, something an expedition weight is real nice. Underarmor, store brands and so forth. The stuff is riodiculously expensive but it does work! Here in cold climates it's useful beyond diving too.

For shirts get a crew neck. Salt water will get on the zipper of a front zip and cause problems.

If you want to splurge Carol Davis has some nice stuff too.

Pete

i am new to drysuit diving, so I am looking for a little advice. i have one of the undergarments that Ron sells on eBay (the 4 way stretch, not the thickest one). It works well with a long t-shirt or 1mm skin down to about the mid 60's. After that I start to get a tad cold. I know other people talk about using polypropylene underwear underneath the jumpsuits for added warmth, wicking. I really do not want to buy another undergarment for the coldest waters, so was thinking just added a little extra to what I already have to keep warm in these conditions. Where do people buy these articles and where are the best deals? Can you get them at Cabellas or Dicks, Rei, etc.

Another option to consider is the Softwear Diving.

Janice makes her product from Malden Mills Polartec fleece. She does not charge anything more for custom sizes versus stock sizes.

I ordered a custom jump suit on Sunday. Janice shipped it on Tuesday. IN other words, it only took me 8 days to get a custom product tailored and delivered to my door via UPS ground. This is excellent considered the product had to go from Washington state to Massachusetts.

The quality is excellent and the fit is perfect.

Other people on ScubaBoard have also had an excellent experience with Softwear Diving. Bob (NwGratefulDiver) has also ordered from them and is extremely happy.

SoftWear for the Scuba Diver

I went to wal-mart and got 3 different thickness pants and 3 different thickness shirts for under $40 on special/clearance when the end-of-winter sales were going on last spring.

My favorite layers of choice still are the manufactured specific for diving kind but the other stuff works well.

I did 64 minutes today in water that was 37 degrees F below 20 ft and since it was a short dive to 200 ft than that means I spend about 48 minutes below 20ft and spent an extra 4 at 10ft. I stayed warm wearing the whites mk3 and a thin set of poly long unnderwear (wal-mart special). my feet got cold though with only wool socks on.

I am new to drysuit diving, so I am looking for a little advice. i have one of the undergarments that ron sells on ebay (the 4 way stretch, not the thickest one).

Please post or PM the link to Ron's page. I managed to lose it in the past few weeks.

BTW, I use fleece gear from Cabela's and Walmart. A thick vest adds plenty of warmth without too much additional bouyancy. I buy cheap stuff and cut the collars from the jackets and vests.

1. Ron currently does not have anything for sale on ebay, I checked as i was going to post a link to what i had bought.

2. How much actual warmth over a typical long sleeve-t does this provide?

Cabela's -- Morgan Mills® Polypro Crew

3. I have checked wal-mart, target, and Kohls, and only Kohls has any long underwear for sale on their website. I have been in the local wal-mart and target stores and neither is selling any long underwear. I know it is only October, and I live in North carolina, but back home in Iowa the stores would always have winter gear for sale now, is this normal??

Stores like REI and EMS should have that kind of thing. REI's store brand is excellent.

1. Ron currently does not have anything for sale on ebay, I checked as i was going to post a link to what i had bought.

2. How much actual warmth over a typical long sleeve-t does this provide?

Cabela's -- Morgan Mills® Polypro Crew

3. I have checked wal-mart, target, and Kohls, and only Kohls has any long underwear for sale on their website. I have been in the local wal-mart and target stores and neither is selling any long underwear. I know it is only October, and I live in North carolina, but back home in Iowa the stores would always have winter gear for sale now, is this normal??

The best bargains are single piece polypro pants, vests and jackets rather than long underwear. Look in the athletics and casual section at your local discount department stores.

All cotton garments, including T-shirts are terrible. Cotton soaks up moisture and traps it as a heat sink next to you skin. You are better wearing nothing rather than cotton. I tried using sweat shirts for a few dives and darned near froze.

Cabela's bargin bin is a brillant place to look. Check out Bass Pro Shops too. I have found that mid season (Jan, Feb for winter) is the best time for local retail bargins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom