Where to get answers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TLangston

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Where can I go to learn the basics about skins, wetsuits and ect.

I have read many, many posts and really need to know the basics before I can uderstand your questions. I dive one (two if lucky) times a year. Always go Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexico area. I live in Chicago(transplant from Texas) and I am usually cold when others are comfortable. Any recommendations on the type of suit I need? A freind of mind showed me his Polor Tech Fleece, Oztex. I really like the fleece lining.
Any suggestions about companies/websites to shop through?

Thanks fo r any input,

Teri

I think you came to the right place to ask this question. If you are prone to getting cold I take it you are diving in warm water without a wetsuit. If this is so, try using a 3 mil full or shorty, this should help out quite a bit. As for where to buy, you could buy online from ScubToys or LeisurePro.

Thanks for the information Scubaboard Veteran. On my past dives, I have rented shortys and full suits. I guess they were 3 mil. It was in Turks and Columbus Isle. I want to be informed before I buy one.

Thanks agian - happy diving
Teri

When did you move from Texas? Many northerners are comfortable with a very thin wetsuit in tropical waters, even 1mm or a lycra skin. It seems many people from warmer climates need a thicker suit to be comfortable on average, 3mm or occasionally even more in the tropics. It's different for everyone because of "natural insulation" and other factors too. If you're recently from Texas 3mm sounds like a good place to start (unless that's what you were renting, and you were still cold.) You will often see divemasters in the Carribean wearing even more because they're used to those temps. Possibly after a year or more in Chicago you'll find you're more tolerant of the cold and need less.

Neoprene beanies help with keeping warm as you lose a lot of heat from your head. Like having a hood but much more comfortable as there's nothing around your neck. You might try that.

Go to Bare's website http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/dive.asp and take a look around on there. It has information on the different suits that they make. Everything from drysuits to tropical wear and all that's in between. Their suits are sold all over the world and aren't a bad price. Also take a look at some of the other wetsuit manufacturers site for info.

I have lived in Chicago for about 7 years now. I still prefer to be too hot than too cold.
I looked at the bare website and it did help me. Thanks Hardhat.
I am thinking 3 mil long sleeve shorty with fleece lining. I am also a tall girl- 6'1" 160 lbs. Will a long waist make a difference with a shorty?

TLangston:
Where can I go to learn the basics about skins, wetsuits and ect.

I have read many, many posts and really need to know the basics before I can uderstand your questions. I dive one (two if lucky) times a year. Always go Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexico area. I live in Chicago(transplant from Texas) and I am usually cold when others are comfortable. Any recommendations on the type of suit I need? A freind of mind showed me his Polor Tech Fleece, Oztex. I really like the fleece lining.
Any suggestions about companies/websites to shop through?

Thanks fo r any input,

Teri

Go to www.scubadiving.com (site of Scuba Diving magazine); click on gear; click on exposure protection. Skip their suit reviews, which are, IM(NS)HO, pretty useless, but do read their general articles, which are more useful.

Sounds like you tend to be a cold water wimp (much like me). Wear a hat/hood/beanie. A substantial fraction of your heat loss (between 25-50%) comes from your head. Fleece may feel nice on dry land, but I'm not convinced it's useful underwater. The physics just don't add up. I'm much more convinced about the arguments about a good fitting wetsuit being warmer than a poorly fitting wetsuit. Try renting a 5mm fullsuit, or a 5mm two piece. (A 5mm two piece will give you close to 10mm over your torso). A dive skin is just a full body lycra swimsuit. No insulation, but protection from sun, baby jellyfish, and some abrasion. A dive skin is also useful if you have difficulty inserting yourself into a wetsuit; it reduces the friction between your skin & the wetsuit (esp. useful for 7mm suits).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom