Where to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetone

Reaction score
I imagine this has come up before, but I don't have the time, to hunt for it. :confused:
(I'm a very slow reader, and there are way to many posts to go thru.)
I have made most of my dives in, of all places, Sam Rayburn lake near Lufkin. So far, in central Texas I have made about 2 dozen in Travis, a couple in Lake Whitney, and about a dozen in Canyon lake. Now that I am three hours or so from Rayburn, I want to find a place to dive on a regular basis, where else is there to dive around here. (I tried one in Lake Waco, but NO Way, can you have fun there.)

Suggestions are appreciated, and I will have a little time to prepare, cause I do NOT like water colder than 70. (65 for sure)

HOW ABOUT IT?

WetOne

How was diving in Canyon. I have wanted to dive that one and I have only been close with my gear once when I was working near Wimberly.

You could try river diving...

Tom

Stock Tanks and Swamps

It is Texas right :hehe: Home of the TDST!

How was diving in Canyon

It was way better than Lake Whitney. I went twice last summer, and both times the visability was 12 -15+ feet, and shore access was easy at the parks.

I thought about going back to Lake Waco, but instead, I dug a hole in the back yard, got in, and covered myself up. The visability was about the same, but the back yard was cleaner.

WetOne

Hi Wetone.

It would be helpfull to have a little more information on when you are planning your dive, and where in Texas you will be staying at the time. Possum Kingdom Lake on the Brazos river is just south of Graham, Tx and about 45 miles west of Fort Worth. It is a very popular diving lake, and there is a great place to dive even if you do not have a boat, it is called Scuba Point and there are lots of things to see underwater such as sunken boats and lots of other stuff. Scuba Point is also home to " Goldfinger " the worlds largest scuba air compressor and tey have a full service dive shop. there web address is www.scubapointpk.com
Hope this helps:mean:

I just thought of it but you could try the power plant lakes like Squaw creek and Fairfield. They are considerably warmer this time of year.

Tom

just south of Graham, Tx and about 45 miles west of Fort Worth.

Never heard of that one. Its about further than I want to drive, but It cant hurt for one weekend.

Thanks TrueTexan

WetOne

Never heard of this one either.. got my post replies crossed up.

Where are they Tom?

WetOne

Possum kingdom in south of graham and west of Ft Worth

Squaw creek is a power plant lake about the same size as Fairfield and South of Ft worth near lake granbury kinda between Cleburn and Stephenville.

Tom

PK and scuba point are good places, and there are others dive spots marked on the map, but you need a boat to access them. Tom, his wife, and myself tried a few of them, but while we did enjoy ourselves, I'm not 100% sure we were at the "exact" spots shown on the maps.

One nifty thing I like about diving off of scuba point was swinging through the sunken pecan grove at 90 feet. It's where Corsair and I came up with the new signal meaning "Tree Limb!!!" (as in, you're about to bonk yourself into one).

Diving in the various Texas rivers is something I would like to explre as well, but I haven't found much information about them yet.

Perhaps we need to develop an Expiditionary Team of the Swampsters? To boldly dive where no man has gone (or in his right mind should go) before? Then do some write ups of our experiences?

Back
Top Bottom