Where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarleyDiver_FL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
High folks. I'm coming your way in 4 days. Going to be a shocker to me coming from the sunny state of Florida to your cold :shakehead wet :11doh: state of Washington but I will survive. Anyway, I am going to be at Ft Lewis for a few weeks and was wondering if there was any place I could or might get a dive in. Now remember, I'm a Florida boy so I DON'T have any dry suit. I would just love to get some down time if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Go Gators!:rofl3:

Ft. Lewis has a scuba shop for military personnel and I believe a pretty active dive community. I'm sure you'll have no trouble renting what you need and finding a buddy or two.

Thanks, I'll check the shop out while I am there. I couldn't pull anything up about it on line

The shop is on North Fort.
You will be able to rent everything you need from Al, Isreal or Casey.
Including a lovely 7mm farmer john wet suit, hood, gloves and a big old flashlight.
(Don't know if you have been told but its dark in Puget Sound :D )

What days will you be available to dive?
Do you have any cold water experience?

There are several great dive sites around for the beginner cold water diver.
Sunnyside ~ Steilacoom
Les Davis ~Tacoma
Redondo ~ Des Moines
3-Tree ~ Burien
Seacrest aka Cove #2 ~ Alki Seattle

If you let us know what days and times you are available to dive there shouldn't be any trouble rounding up a few buddies to join you.

I appreciate that. I am NOT sure what dates I will be available due to the US Army and its infinite wisdom you know. The only cold water training I ever received was jumping into a lake, in Ohio, in January to pull a drunk out of a sinking car. So No, I guess I don't have any cold water training. I will be on N Ft on the 29th through the 16th if that helps.

If your here between the 29th and 16th I count 2 weekends.
I am sure that will allow a few days of diving if the Army lets you out to dive.

Just make sure you let your dive buddies know you do not have cold water diving experience.
They can dive you thru the different elements cold water will give you.

I spoke with the Ft Lewis dive shop last night. YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY !!!!! 43 degree water. Whats up with that?? So I guess this Florida boy is going to join your cold butts while I am there and get wet and freeze:shakehead . 14 mm wetsuits. Thats just nuts. I use 10 to 12 lbs of weights here. I was told I would be using 40lbs. My God people. you need to MOVE:rofl3: See you when I get there. In case anyone wants to get hold of me while I am there. my cell number is 407-467-5660, I will be on North Ft lewis on the 29th of this month.

Thanks

Harley ~ You can say we are crazy.. but I know once you get in our cold waters.
You will love it just like we do.
Your first Wolf Eel or Giant Pacific Octo encounter and you will be hooked.

Did they also mention the gloves and hood you will be wearing?

Yes, we are crazy! But it's just so awesome!

The gloves and hoods. Hmmmm I do beleive they told me, at least 7mm on both. How in God's name am I supposed to move when I will be so compressed in neoprene? I did a couple of dives here yesterday. the water was 72 degrees with an awsome thermalcline in the cavern. The water temp jumped to 76 degrees starting at 30 feet to the max depth of 51 feet inside at the vent. I wore a 3mm shorty and of course booties. No hood, no gloves. Thats the way it should be when you dive but I will dive your cold dark waters to say I DID IT and anjoyed it. Never mind the frostbite or hypothermia. Thats just a side effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom