Where to dive inland california valley area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mojoo4u2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of a few diving spots close to merced county California? I just moved to the town of merced from Miami, Florida. Hoping to find spots in the mountain and foot hills area. Im aware of lake tahoe, but looking for other areas as well. Lakes or rivers in the area. I sent an email to yosemite national park asking if I could dive in the lakes there but have never received a reply. Anyone know about diving there too? Thanks

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to NoCal..

Google maps says it is a 2.5 hour drive to Monterey. That would be the best bet. I live 2.5 hours from Monterey as well. The drive is well worth it for the quality of diving there. I do it on average 2 times a month.

Moojoo4u2,

I live in Clovis, which is about 1/2 hour from Merced. I have never dove around here, but I heard that people dive in Millerton lake. You might want to call Mike at Aquasports in Fresno (559-224/0744). The web page is Aquasports - Home. He might have some good options for you. I believe that most of the people who dive around here, take trips to the coast. There are a couple of LDSs around here that both run charters out of Los Angeles or the Channel Island. Mike runs some trip to tropical areas around the world. I have not been. I am taking a class in Monterey on 5/30 - 5/31. I will talk to the instructor and see if he has any suggestions for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Blake

I used to live in Fresno, and was considering diving back then, but never did because I really didnt want to dive in Millerton.

However, If you take the drive up the hill (and are altitude certified) Shaver Lake, Bass Lake (maybe), and Huntington Lake all shouldn't be too bad or nearly as green.

About the only time I would dive millerton is at the peak of the summer when the lake is near empty. Then id only be interested to see how much of the old town of millerton is still around/visible and not rotted or covered by silt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom