Question Where to Dive in the Philippines That's NOT Focused on Muck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm diving at El Galleon in Puerto Galera in March 2025 and would like to continue from there and dive somewhere else in the Philippines that is not a muck-centric location. I don't mind doing a muck dive on occasion, but I don't want to go somewhere that that's the focus of the diving. Any recommendations for locations and resorts? A/C is a requirement.

Thanks!

I did Tubbataha this year and due to extremely warm water temperatures the week I was there, we didn't see as many of the big-ticket items as others did. Our week had a manta and a hammerhead sighting but no whale sharks. That said, it was some of the most gorgeous, pristine, healthy reef diving I've ever done. Schools of fish exhibiting their natural behaviors, even fish that I didn't realize schooled (like a large school of coronetfish!??!?! which I had never seen); the most sharks on the reef I've ever seen diving (mostly grey / whitetips / silvertips), easily 10+ sharks per dive and some adorable schools of juveniles; barracuda schools and schools of jacks (that unfortunately were a little deeper/farther from us because of the intensely warm water); turtles galore; etc. Some of the sites felt like the Swiss alps of coral reef views, honestly, just some really stunning coral reef landscapes to see on our surface intervals.

It's pretty much all wall diving with plenty to see down the wall and on top of the reef as well. It's also more affordable than other liveaboards around the world imo. DESPITE some people thinking the week was a bust because no whale shark, it was a surreal beautiful experience and if I could afford it I'd go back every year. One of our divers had come back every year for seven years and had some incredible photos.

Oh and based on a quick look at Instagram for the LOB I was on, the other trips saw whale sharks, mantas, etc once the water was less extremely warm. I think we just had bad luck. I don't think it's as frequent as past years, but generally they expect one "big" sighting like that per liveaboard group.

I did Tubbataha too with Infiniti Liveaboard last month. Still working on my trip video (a bit behind schedule due to Hurricane Beryl did some damage on my house and 4 trees in my yard bit the dust). Hopefully it’ll be posted in SB next week.

Saw lots of Sharks too, but no manta, no hammerhead, nor Whaleshark. All I can say is it ain’t Raja Ampat.

Saw lots of Sharks too, but no manta, no hammerhead, nor Whaleshark. All I can say is it ain’t Raja Ampat.
LOL.
R4 is NOT Tubbataha either.
Comparing apple and orange!

The question is specific on Philippines and has nothing to do with Indonesia or anywhere else!!! No need to promote R4 in Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom