Where to dive in the Comal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the local LDS suggested I dive their as a refresher course since it's a simple dive. But I would feel more comfortable in a swimming pool.

I hear the Landa RV trek is the best way to dive the Comal, but we were lazy and just got in at the stairs above the chute. Easy entry, swam against a very light current going out and then came back. Obviously you don't want to enter at the Chute in the middle of the day.

hsnowden:
I'll agree that Cozumelis a more complex dive. I would aslo agree the Comal River should not be used for certification dives.

Current is what gets most people. Entry, descent, depth, and a safety stop may not be involed, but with buoyancy and trim in a working current things are going to be a lot different than bouyancy in a lake. Weighting going to be different anyway going from fresh to salt water. Comal is good for Learning how to manuver in a current with out running in to things. Really all I'm saying getting in the water anywhere after two years would ge a good idea. Besides, where in the San Antonio area are you going to get a condition like and dive at Cozumel? Medina vis has gone to hell, Canyon Lake and Lake Travis are packed with students tearing vis up.

Herb is right, at least get in the water after a two year sitout before going back to Cozumel. While the Comal isn't Cozumel (ok what Dive site in Texas is) at least its easy, shallow, has great visability and a mild year round temp and a slight current. Better than jumping into your backyard pool I think.

Jim Marshall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom