Where to dive in oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I’m going to Oahu next week to meet up with a buddy. He lives on the island and is a diver but hasn’t had a chance to dive there yet. We plan to do one day of shore diving with some borrowed gear while our wives hang out above water. Does anyone have good recommendations on shore dives with good viz and lots of wildlife? A beach or hiking trail nearby for the wives would be a plus but not required. I’d love to see whales and or dolphins along with as much other sealife as possible. Thanks in advance!

You are going to be on the south shore as the surfers are all on the north shore right now. I'll ask a buddy of mine who used to work there. We went on an awesome night dive from shore, but I don't remember where this was.

My friend answered. He said Point Panic was where I dived with him and a couple other folks from Kamana divers. He said Electric Beach can also be a decent site as well. I hope these work out for you.

EDIT: he followed up and said there are not many shore diving spots. If Hanauma Bay still offers diving, there are some pristine reefs there.

My friend answered. He said Point Panic was where I dived with him and a couple other folks from Kamana divers. He said Electric Beach can also be a decent site as well. I hope these work out for you.

EDIT: he followed up and said there are not many shore diving spots. If Hanauma Bay still offers diving, there are some pristine reefs there.
Thank you, ill look these up!

There is a guy I know from way back that is looking to dive a LOT this week. He is hitting our morning charters, but would likely be open to much shore diving in the afternoon. He was a local way back when so knows the island.
Hit me up at my email address. I'll send you his contact.

Reactions: CCS
Can I jump into this thread please? I have 3 nights in Honolulu in August (on my way to Bikini.. woohoo) and am keen to do some diving. I've been a bit burned previously (10 years ago!) that I booked a dive in Honolulu and got put with a group of Try-Divers. I've been in touch with one shop and they can take me out but said 2 dives, first limited to 35 minutes and second to 45 minutes. I'd struggle with doing dives that short.. I like going slowly and taking photos. Is there any way of doing decent length dives in Honolulu? I'll have my gear with me but will need to hire weights and tanks. Alternatively, am I struggling because there simply isn't great diving around Honolulu and I'd have to go to other islands for diving? Thanks for any advice.

Can I jump into this thread please? I have 3 nights in Honolulu in August (on my way to Bikini.. woohoo) and am keen to do some diving. I've been a bit burned previously (10 years ago!) that I booked a dive in Honolulu and got put with a group of Try-Divers. I've been in touch with one shop and they can take me out but said 2 dives, first limited to 35 minutes and second to 45 minutes. I'd struggle with doing dives that short.. I like going slowly and taking photos. Is there any way of doing decent length dives in Honolulu? I'll have my gear with me but will need to hire weights and tanks. Alternatively, am I struggling because there simply isn't great diving around Honolulu and I'd have to go to other islands for diving? Thanks for any advice.
judyo1,

This is an easy one. Oahu has a ton of great dive operations that can fulfill your needs. Here are three recommendations with hyperlinks to their websites. I've dove with all three operations 100+ times. They offer a variety of dive options.
- Kaimana Divers / @scottitheduck
- Beyond Open Water (Kevin Davenport)
- IslandDiversHI (Island Divers Hawaii, Honolulu Scuba Company, Oahu Dolphin Divers)

I’m going to Oahu next week to meet up with a buddy. He lives on the island and is a diver but hasn’t had a chance to dive there yet. We plan to do one day of shore diving with some borrowed gear while our wives hang out above water. Does anyone have good recommendations on shore dives with good viz and lots of wildlife? A beach or hiking trail nearby for the wives would be a plus but not required. I’d love to see whales and or dolphins along with as much other sealife as possible. Thanks in advance!
How was your diving? I wish I would have seen this earlier. Shore diving is limited to the South/Leeward shores of Oahu between October and April. I would have recommended Electric Beach, Tracks Beach, Makaha Caverns, Makai, or Point Panic. I hope you were able to get some good diving in during your holiday.

How was your diving? I wish I would have seen this earlier. Shore diving is limited to the South/Leeward shores of Oahu between October and April. I would have recommended Electric Beach, Tracks Beach, Makaha Caverns, Makai, or Point Panic. I hope you were able to get some good diving in during your holiday.
Electric beach and point panic where the plan but the rental shop said they were both no good do to the swell. We ended up doing shallow dives at ala moana and makapuu. We tried lanikai beach toward the islands but viz was bad and the next day even makapuu looked to rough from the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom