Goat Island in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My trip to New Zealand is coming together. I already have 2 days of diving out to the Poor Knight Islands with Dive! Tutukaka booked. Looking at where I'll be when, it looks like I might have a chance to squeeze in a shore dive at Goat Island when I drive between Matakana and Tutukaka.

Quick questions.....
1) It looks like the day I could do a dive at Goat Island (Oct 12) would be the first day of the season for a guided shore dive with Goat Island Dive and Snorkel. Is there a good chance of bad conditions in October there? The website says the shore dives are shallow, so I'm assuming the chance of bad conditions scrapping a dive would be higher because of that.

2) It looks like the guided shore dive is at 1:00 PM. If I'm driving between Matakana and Tutukaka on the same day, would fitting in a dive be a good idea? I figured with gear set-up and take down, maybe leave Goat Island at around 4:00 PM, putting me in to Tutukaka by 7:00? Does that sound about right?

3) How is Goat Island for diving? I prefer shallow dives where I can spend the most time looking at fishes and other critters, so it seems like a good fit for me, but I'm wondering if entry / exits are difficult or if viz is usually bad, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Unless your incredibly unlucky with the direction of the swell, you'll be diving in shallow water protected by the island so don't worry too much about weather.

It's a very easy dive site! Just a few stairs down to the beach. Usually no waves at all.

Visibility is hit and miss. Just cross your fingers for a good day.

I'd call goat island an average dive site but worth doing if your draving past anyway.

I have seen it rough at Goat Island. In fact, the one time I turned up there with dive gear! Sea conditions are unpredictable in every season, so hard to know what it will be like, but most likely OK or better. I assume you have researched water temperatures? It won't be warm.

Back
Top Bottom