Where to dive in Indonesia in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raja Ampat is a good choice, but be aware that in April, many/most of the liveaboard boats will be making their way back to the Komodo region. So some of the April trips are going to be between R4 and Ambon, around Ambon, or between Ambon and Komodo.

In truth, from Bali it's not just a hop and a skip to reach Raja Ampat. If you don't want to leave Indonesia and pay for another visa to get back in, you need to fly to Makassar/Ujung Padang first, and because of the early morning departure times from UP to Sorong, you need to overnight there. You can also get to R4 through Manado via Singapore, but it's a similar problem--it usually requires an overnight in Singapore or Manado, and it requires you to leave Indonesia and re-enter. A third option is to go through Jakarta, and you can get there in a single day with aircraft changes in Jakarta and Makassar. It's quite a trek!

Yeh, April is a little late for Raja. There were two boats still doing Raja last april and we were one of them. It's a little early for the best season in Komodo, but if I were doing Komodo, I would spend my extra time in Bali, probably Tulamben. It would be late rainy season, but probably still OK.

Agreed, Mimpi and Seraya are nice. If on budget, then Tulamben Wreck Divers for room and diving.

I think you should start by choosing a class of boat and price range. Then pick 5 boats in that class and check their schedule. Choose the boat/itinerary that fits best, then arrange land side around it.

I seem to remember getting from Bali to Sorong in one day, and checked just one airline right now, Lion, and it's possible to fly there in one day (albeit with two plane changes) leaving 6:30 am arriving 5:30 pm. I've actually been to Raja Ampat in April and May and had great diving experiences. It's a special place and if that's the only time you can go, I wouldn't miss out on it. Komodo is incredible as well and certainly wouldnt be a bad choice either.

The Lion itinerary is through Jakarta, right? (I've got a list of all the domestic flight combinations for getting to Sorong, but it may need updating).

I typically try personally, and definitely recommend to my customers, to avoid as much domestic travel on Indonesian carriers as can be managed. International bodies that regulate air traffic safety have blacklisted most Indonesian carriers, and that says a lot to me. Getting to Sorong is only possible on domestic flights, there's no way around it, so what I personally do is to fly on Silk Air to Manado from Singapore and pick up the Wings/Lion flight to Sorong. It keeps me off all but two segments of domestic Indonesian carriers (MDC-SOQ and SOQ-MDC). A Lion/Wings routing through Jakarta would be six segments: DPS-CGK, CGK-MDC, MDC-SOQ, SOQ-MDC, MDC-CGK, CGK-DPS. This is more domestic Indon travel than I'm happy to do.

No, actually was via Surabaya and Makassar. That Silk flight is always so ridiculously expensive, probably because they own a monopoly on it...wish Air Asia didn't stop flying it. While having reliability and safety issues, and frustratingly difficult to purchase tickets for, I just view it as a "necessary evil" of travel in Indonesia. I try to fly Lion where I can as I've had the best overall experience with them.

April starts to be good everywhere in Indonesia. North Sulawesi seems a good compromise of good reef and fish life with macro, few days in Manado area and a few days in Lembeh, but you cannot expect big stuff.
Komodo has some short cruises (4 , 5 or 6 days) and you could combine with a Flores tour ( volcano, jungle ect ) , we don’t recommend land based in Komodo, as you will spend your days on the dive boat anyway.
Both can combine land tour and diving, Komodo will have more fish and big stuff while north Sulawesi will be more attractive for macro.

I'm not clear. How and from where did you get to Surabaya? I'm not sure how going in one day from Surabaya would be any better than Jakarta.

You can get to Sorong in one day via Lion from Jakarta-Makassar. There was briefly a way to do it one day from Bali, but Garuda went back to their old schedule.

Express Air just added a third 737!!! It's a "newer" 737-500. There were parts dangling from the interior cabin ceiling. Garuda is off the black list. Their 737's have more leg room than Lion or Express. Garuda, while more expensive, allows an extra 15kg for "sports gear". Lion has a very new fleet of 737s, although I think they quit cleaning them a few years ago. The rows are packed tight and the vinyl seats are a bit lacking. Merpati needs to be avoided at all costs.

No, actually was via Surabaya and Makassar. That Silk flight is always so ridiculously expensive, probably because they own a monopoly on it...wish Air Asia didn't stop flying it. While having reliability and safety issues, and frustratingly difficult to purchase tickets for, I just view it as a "necessary evil" of travel in Indonesia. I try to fly Lion where I can as I've had the best overall experience with them.

The flight was via Surabaya and Menado, with two hour+ connections in both places to allow for the arriving flight being late, I'd rate that as superior or at least equal..i don't know what the travel or departure times were on the other flight. But I guess the real point is being realistic about travel in Indonesia and about the opportunity to dive incredible Raja Ampat. Would you really tell someone who was already in Indonesia that "hey, you wouldn't want to go to Raja Ampat because you're going to have 11 hours travel time." I'd hope not.

For wetsuit : stayed at Tauch Terminal in august, very nicely thought, bright and breezy rooms with lovely balconies or verandas. Close to Liberty Wreck.
There's also the Ocean view which has recently open on the beach almost in front of the wreck. Large grounds and new bungalows, not many guests seemed to be there at the time. This could be Tumamben's best bet this year.

Dived with Liberty Dive Resort HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, Nitrox for free policy, only a little charge to get a private guide in peak season. Very nice diving operation.

I guess the real point is being realistic about travel in Indonesia and about the opportunity to dive incredible Raja Ampat. Would you really tell someone who was already in Indonesia that "hey, you wouldn't want to go to Raja Ampat because you're going to have 11 hours travel time." I'd hope not.
Yes, it's important to be realistic about travel in Indonesia, and I don't think anybody said not to go to Raja Ampat due to travel times. However, my own comments were to add a "realistic" reply to this:
...not difficult at all to get there from Bali.
It really is not very easy to get to Raja Ampat from Bali and in fact it does present significant difficulties. Being realistic about that fact doesn't imply saying "don't go."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom