• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Where to dive in Bavaria (Germany)?

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Roberto Inzerillo, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Mod63

Mod63 Dive Con

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Unfortunately yes. The Bavarian "water law" explicitliy states which uses of public water bodies are common use and diving is not one of them. Therefore there need to be a local ruling that specifies where and when it is allowed.

2. Roberto Inzerillo

Roberto Inzerillo Contributor

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Well, I'm only planning to dive for fun and to know someone over there, I'm certainly going to plan something with the most favourable conditions first. In the future ... will see.
    And yes, I do already have two flashlights :)

I'm aware of the the ISE being active in Germany but I'm not going to compare/confront myself to them in any way, not at this stage. I need some more experience (and attend a few more basic courses) first in order to join any kind of technical training in the first place.
    But of course, I'm still into the DIR approach, I tend to agree with quite a few of its ideas.

And yes, I did buy a BP/W (it's a basic DIR style one, which I enjoy sooo much!) and I'm starting to find an acceptable (again: acceptable, not good) trim configuration.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

3. Roberto Inzerillo

That's all very interesting to know, thanks :)

4. ginti

ginti DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I wouldn't think about "comparing yourself with them". I would see it as "knowing some interesting people". I bet most of their dives are recreational, and they will be more than happy to welcome new divers. This is true for sure in the case of GUE (at least in all the country I have been to Italy, the UK, France, Belgium, Switzerland), and I have no reason to believe that ISE is different. That said, it's your choice; whatever you choose, have fun!

5. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Contributor

6. Raphus

Raphus DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Most lakes in germany, that are deeper then a few meters, require 2 first stages.
    The visibility can range from nothing to 10m depending on the lake. Most fall into the category "nothing to 2m".

I would check, which lakes you want to dive and if you need 2 first stages.
    7mm semi dry is good for summer diving. But deeper then 10m is normally too cold for diving wet. (yes of course, there is always this one guy, that dives a shorty in Antarctica..)

Diving here is really cool. But completely different from warm water ocean diving..
    If you never dived cold dark and low vis.. Stay shallow first. Usually deeper then 5m there is no fish and plants anyway

7. ginti

ginti DIR Practitioner

True, but rock walls are fantastic :)

Raphus likes this.
  8. Roberto Inzerillo

9. Joris Vd

Joris Vd Contributor

Tauchplätze in Deutschland (taucher.net) is what I use when I am travelling through Germany by car for spontaneous dive site finding.

It's not the most complete source, but it has alot of dive spots.

Sbiriguda likes this.