Where to buy P-weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoistNeoprene

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'd like to add a P-weight to my backplate. DIR Zone has one (4.9 kg) and so does FLY (5.5 kg), however I can't find anyone willing to ship these to the USA.

DIRZONE
Finnsub - FLY weight system

Yes I know it's possible to pour your own but I'd prefer not to.
Does anyone know where I could a P-weight in the USA?

What about that ? Wouldn't it be a nice alternative ?

Highland V Trim Weight Pouch | Dive Gear Express®
I tried this option and was incredibly unsatisfied with it. You can only get a small amount of weight in the pouch before it becomes unusable. After trying the highland pouch, I ended casting my own. I was able to get 3-4 times more weight in one I cast than I was able to get in the highland and still be comfortable.

I assume you're not talking about doubles, so why not go with a weighted STA? Extreme Exposure

They turn up from time to time in the classifieds here, worth a search.

My buddy made this for me. I have a sta too. 22 pounds right on my back total. 10 pound p weight. 6 pound sta. 6 pound plate.

851657D4-4959-42AC-B943-AD3EA424D112.jpeg

Is there any reason to have it all non-ditchable? The 10# from that P-weight would fit into two small trim pockets on your waist belt.

Weight belts, back when I was still using that disgusting option, ended up causing real pain on my hips and my back also wasn't happy. Of course my memory might be faulty since I haven't used a weight belt in almost 30 years. A backplate with doubles and a small p-weight is perfect.
Ditchable weight is just something that gets dropped when you still have lots of deco to do - for me a real no-no.

Michael

Ditchable weight is just something that gets dropped when you still have lots of deco to do - for me a real no-no.
Agree, but we're talking about single tank rigs here, so "lots of deco" isn't a consideration. V-weights for doubles are still easy enough to find.

Not a fan of ditchable weights either and use a different modular approach depending on whether I'm diving doubles or singles.

With doubles and dry it's 1+2kg V weight for fresh + 2.5kg P weight for salt.

For single and dry it's a 4kg weighted STA with 1+1kg trim weights fresh. Again, I add the P weight for salt.

The thing I like about this is that I effectively have a fully integrated range from 1 to 8.5kg which covers all configurations and environments.

I would recommend the 2.5kg P over the 5kg as it's easier to integrate and, for the above reasons, I'm not keen on a one piece large chunk of lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom