where is the cheapest place to get the Nomad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes thats them and im not sure either but regardless i would not feel comfortable using my drysuit as a second type of inflation i feel safer with the dual bladder

Why?? You get more lift from the suit in an emergency.. I happen to know the Director of traninig for Padi, also he is the one who wrote the Padi SMM class. Your shop has told you wrong but if that's what makes you feel comfy spend the extra money.

I honestly mean no disrespect here and am simply speaking honestly. It is possible that perhaps your 0-24 dive have not prepared you for this next step then. You are free to do whatever you like.....not like anybody here can stop you. All most people are trying to do is to make sure that there is some apparent misunderstandings of what is required and people would rather you know what is required and be able to make an educated decision based on experience and knowledge. In the end, you are going to do whatever you choose irrespective of what anybody says. No matter what it is, dive safe and never feel that you need to rush into the next step. There is nothing wrong with learning by diving/mentorship before advancing through classes.
He's sidemounting in open water at 24 dives, I don't see why we take this so seriously. It's about as useful of a class as underwater basket weaving.

No im not going to sidemount till i get a little more experienced im goin single and doubles till im ready

No im not going to sidemount till i get a little more experienced im goin single and doubles till im ready

If you know you are going sidemount eventually, why go backmounted doubles at all?

He's sidemounting in open water at 24 dives, I don't see why we take this so seriously. It's about as useful of a class as underwater basket weaving.

Don't be so mean! He's a noob asking questions. Sometimes, we are not very good at phrasing them . . . give us a break!

Don't be so mean! He's a noob asking questions. Sometimes, we are not very good at phrasing them . . . give us a break!

He's not being mean.

1) This is posted under the technical diving specialties. It's not really the place a new diver should be trying learn yet, or come looking for warm and fuzzy answers. This is where you come for the no-nonsense, sometime harsh reality replies from people that know what they're doing. Most people with less than 24 dives barely understand all the intricacies of their current gear configuration and buoyancy, never mind sidemount or tech diving.

2) Most of the people that answer these questions get tired of answering the same question a dozen times for new divers, then being told by these same divers how it doesn't work for them, doesn't apply for them, or after being given well thought out reasoning they choose to go off and do something completely contradictory to the advice they asked for.

3) James was the first responder and gave the OP a solid answer to his question. In the ensuing discussion the OP proceeds to tell some pretty experienced divers what a drysuit can and can't be used for. The instructor he talked to might have a requirement about dual bladders, but that doesn't mean it's an agency requirement or a requirement for tech diving in general. Based on his comments I'd have to agree with James that he's probably not ready to take this step yet.

Last edited:
Did anyone tell him that? Did anyone point out that the place for "sidemount questions" is other than the sidemount forum?

Oh, and where might be the best place for such 'sidemount questions' from a noob? :popcorn:

Did anyone tell him that? Did anyone point out that the place for "sidemount questions" is other than the sidemount forum?

Oh, and where might be the best place for such 'sidemount questions' from a noob? :popcorn:

Maybe if you read my response again you'll understand what I said. If you still need help after that, I'll explain it again.

Maybe if you read my response again you'll understand what I said. If you still need help after that, I'll explain it again.

Okay, I re-read it, and still don't see where there is a more appropriate place to ask a sidemount question.

Fortunately, there are many on this forum willing to guide and mentor those thinking about sidemount, and are happy to promote sidemount diving. This forum is a wonderful asset to the board, because until someone that frequents this forum took the time to PM me, I had no idea that sidemount existed.

As for people that listen to others' advice and choose to go another way, well, sometimes the greatest gift is allowing others to make their own mistakes. :wink:

Okay, I re-read it, and still don't see where there is a more appropriate place to ask a sidemount question.
I didn't say anything about him needing to find a more appropriate place to ask the question.

What I did say was that the response given wasn't "mean" as you stated.

I also said that someone with no experience in something shouldn't be trying to correct those that are giving them the advice they asked for and that it's better to understand how the basics work before trying to do more.

I wonder how many people go to church for spiritual guidance and tell the preacher how to do the sermon?

Back
Top Bottom