Where do you dive in Arizona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Seeing as how the AZ dive site directory isn't up and running yet, I thought I'd borrow the idea and start a thread.

Where do you dive in AZ? Which places are good and why and which places are bad and why?

I've been to Lake Pleasant:
Desert Tortoise and Vista Point. Both pretty easy to get to. The East side of Vista Point is in a little cove area so I think that the conditions there are pretty good.

Saguaro Lake (Keyhole area):
It's a little difficult to "put in" unless you go from one of the boat docks. I've never tried Butcher Johnes Bay.

Has anybody ever gone to Apache Lake or Roosevelt Lake? I know that Canyon is pretty low right now.

Roosevelt is more like the Mississippi river. Too thick to drink, too thin to plow.
Powell has rocks, more rocks, a little visablility on a good day, a canyon here or there and sometimes a fish. But you only get 10% of the lake, the other 90% is in Utah which only has 3.2 beer.

I cert'ed in Phoenix, and we almost always went to San Diego. About 4 times a year.

Then I moved there so I could go diving all the time.

Didn't get back in the water for 5 years :-(

But now I'm back...

We've tried Canyon and probably won't be back anytime soon, and I gather the other east side lakes are similar. Pleasant, despite being on the other side of town is our usual stop. We liked Scorpion Bay as a dive site until that closed to make way for the new marina. Our first time to Vista Point was just a few days back and it was a pretty decent little area, could get some depth quicker than Desert Tortoise, but the vis was about the same. There are some other spots at the lake we've used, but I have no idea what their names are :) We did try lake Mohave once and plan to go back, that wasn't too bad- surface conditions the day we were there didn't help (wiiindy and cold) but the dive was nice. And we also hit SoCal from time to time...

Saguaro Lake:

Keyhole can be done off the dock and the rocks. The rocks are not fun in summer with a drysuit and doubles.

Butcher Jones is a waste of time. There's a couple hundred yards of "beach" to cross. It is the "swimming area" for Saguaro, so there is a lot of traffic on the weekends and you may want a babysitter for anything you leave on shore. You have to dig a hole to get below 10 feet (unless you want to swim half a mile). Visibility is six inches. A TON of suspended dirt and other junk is in the water. Plus, the ore-bearing rocks/submerged UFOs make your compass go haywire.

There's a ramada to the west of the fishing dock on the Keyhole road. There's a small path leading to the water from it. That's the place I dive when I go to Saguaro. You can hit 30-ish feet, there are lots of fish habitats, and some interesting rocks around the fishing dock.

Pleasant:

RIP Scorpion Bay. Great place to dive. I hope all the boats in the marina sink.

Canyon:

Mud dive.

Canyon used to be better than Saguaro. Decent visibility and stuff to see at Boulder and Acacia Beaches. At that time (about 3 years ago), Saguaro was a mud pit. I agree with Blake on Butcher Jones. You can walk 1/2 mile before your head ever submerges.

Apache was pea soup when we were there. Roosevelt was a puddle when we were there.

Mohave is the best dive in Arizona without fail. Not only is the visibility good there, but there's actually stuff to see - bus, van, and boat.

Mohave is the best dive in Arizona without fail. Not only is the visibility good there, but there's actually stuff to see - bus, van, and boat.

Whaddya mean? Cheap sunglasses and beer cans don't count as "stuff to see"?

Back
Top Bottom