Where do you attach an SMB and reel when you're wearing a Zena?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Where do you attach an SMB and reel when you're wearing a Zena?

I figured out how to attach sea snips to the side straps so they don't dangle. And a whistle and octo and console on the d-rings. I have a small dive light, computer, and slate on my wrists. But where/how would you attach an SMB and reel to a Zena, so they're out of the way and not dangling in a strange way, but you can still reach them?

I don't have a reel, but I attach my SMB to one of my wing cord on my right side. I can easily reach it and detach it for use (have done it before when we needed to signal for a pick up). There's also an add on utility pocket available that you could consider.

One thing is sure, sometimes you have to be a bit creative with the Zena.

I am assumiming that the Zena Wing is attached with the webbing straps across the back plate like most of the Zeagle BC's.

I usa a Zeagle E-Z Mount QD pouch for signal tube with 2 of the Zeagle Quick Link With Strap and attach the pouch to the wing attaching straps between the wing and the back plate with the quick links, this puts the pouch along my side and in front of the wing. The pouch holds my 6' SMB and a finger spool with a double ender snap.

If you called or emailed Zeagle I am sure they would answer any questions about this setup.

Hope this helps.

two words - "cargo shorts"...
Pockets for storage are where it is at. As this suggestion above, there are shorts that go over your wetsuit etc, that have two pockets on them. They work great and give plenty of space to store safety items. Sometimes they are called X-Shorts by brand name. You can also glue on pocket(s) to your wetsuit for less than $30 each.

Hm, sounds like either of those would work. I could imagine the advantages/disadvantages of having something on your shorts vs. attached behind your arm. Seems like the shorts would cause more drag, while something behind your arm is more difficult to reach.

I do something totally different. I add a 2 inch D ring and triglide (weight keeper) to the lower tank band, for me on my left side because I am left handed. I attach the SMB and reel there. It may seem like a difficult place to reach but it is actually very easy to get to and the SMB/reel do not dangle in front of me. I use a snap bolt that has a ring large enough for me to get my little finger in it. This allows me to hold the clip securely, open it and attach/retrieve them with one hand. I live close to Down Under and can show you what I do if you like. Great place for spare lights as well.

I do something totally different. I add a 2 inch D ring and triglide (weight keeper) to the lower tank band, for me on my left side because I am left handed. I attach the SMB and reel there. It may seem like a difficult place to reach but it is actually very easy to get to and the SMB/reel do not dangle in front of me. I use a snap bolt that has a ring large enough for me to get my little finger in it. This allows me to hold the clip securely, open it and attach/retrieve them with one hand. I live close to Down Under and can show you what I do if you like. Great place for spare lights as well.

now I have something to try.... thanks!

Gear Keeper

OK, I found the D ring attached to a triglide that you're talking about. The D-ring on the SMB is large enough that it should stay on the reel's snap bolt when I detach the two of them together. (Aaron at Down Under knew what you were talking about.) I'm going to try that, also on the lower tank band on the left side -- I'm a fellow leftie. Thanks!

I like that idea for the spare light too - maybe on the right side to balance things out.

Wish us luck trying to learn how to deploy the SMB underwater tomorrow. That should be entertaining!

Between the SMB and reel, the whistle, the light, the sea snips, the trim weights, the utility pocket, the wrist slate, the computer, the light, the octo, and the console, I'm starting to feel a bit ridiculous. Kind of like one of those fishermen with 20 pockets. ;-)

---------- Post added ----------

Yep, the D-ring and triglide were a success. I was able to reach the clip and unclip it, and we even got the SMB deployed on the first try (from about 30 feet). Highly recommended solution. Thanks, Herman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom