Where did your Scouts/Venturers dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raftingtigger, sounds like a great day of diving! I have a group going out Saturday and will post the details then.

BTW, looked at your post concerning DIY "lift bags". Very inventive!:laughing:

Venturing Crew/Boy Scout Troop 188 went diving today. :goingdown:. Five youth and two adult leaders accompanied by a Dive Master. We went diving at Pearl Lake in South Beloit Il. Did two dives each about 25 feet. Saw some Blue Gill, Bass, the submarine, and a couple of boats. I was very pleased with how fast the youths comfort in the water came back after their winter break. Our next scheduled outing is in July. I can't wait! :D

Venturing Crew/Boy Scout Troop 188 Certified two Open Water Divers and two Advanced Adventure Divers this last weekend. :D Had a great time at Pearl Lake. I am always pleased by the really great people you meet at the dive locations.

Venturing Crew 1904 from VA was diving in Puerto Aventuras Mexico. While there we saw Crew 9 from Rome NY. Managed to kill some lionfish as well! IMG_0507.jpg

My instructor and I are considering starting a Venture Crew specifically for diving. Our LDS has agreed to be the sponsor. The idea is to provide local trip/outing opportunities for the Sacramento area scout divers (any unit) monthly. I've got some ideas, but we would LOVE ideas, suggestions, etc.

My instructor is a merit badge counselor (scuba, swimming, oceanography), and I am a Venture Advisor and DM.

Make sure you are offering opportunities for every level of diver as well as access to training for those who want to increase their knowledge base and skill sets. As has been said before, this is an expensive sport. How are you going to make it financially accessible to the youth who want to participate? Please keep us posted as to how this all works out. :D

Venture Crew 512 just had a member earn the "Underwater Basketweaving" merit badge.

Since you won't find the requirements in any official publication I'll post mine.

#1 Explain the basic safety procedures and first-aid for scuba diving and basketweaving. Include: splinters, cuts, hypothermia, ear equalization, breathing rules, and CPR

#2 Participate in and complete at least the PADI Discover Scuba program (or equivalent). Certified divers of any level or recognized organization automatically qualify.

#3 Complete a basketry project that qualifies for the Basketry merit badge completely while underwater between a depth of 6 - 20 feet. Measuring and cutting the reeds may be done before water entry.
Do ONE of the following:
a. Make ONE basket yourself. Your buddy may stabilize the basket while you work, and may hold materials for you.
b. Make TWO baskets as a buddy pair. You each need to participate in each step.

The merit badge patch is available at Spoof/Custom Patches :: Spoof Merit Badges :: Under Water Basket Weaving Merit Badge - Boy Scout Store - Boy Scout Collectibles & Memorabilia & Gifts

My scouts (boy scout or venturer - any age/gender) receive the badge, the official card, and a signed blue card (marked "not to be used for advancement").IMG_1150.jpgIMG_1164.jpg

OK, so here is my sad tale of woe. Crew/Troop 188 has been trying to get a charter onto Lake Michigan for over a month now. We keep getting "blown off" the lake by high wave conditions. August 28 was our previous attempt. Beautiful weather that day, high 80's air temps. sunny, light breeze. A great day to go diving except for the 4-6' waves on the lake. Our Captain cancelled the trip. You may have read the posts concerning the dive boat that did venture out that day capsizing on the Milwaukee site. Fortunately, no one was injured. So, we rescheduled for today. Weather looking out my window, upper 60's, overcast with scattered light precipitation, no wind at all. Lake Conditions? Small craft advisory (3-5' waves) and severe weather conditions. Our captain just called to cancel, rightly so. Maybe next weekend if everyone is available.

We went to Haigh Quarry near Kankakee IL. today. Three youth and two adults. We did two dives. The first was 54 minutes and the second was 37 minutes. Saw lots of fish as well as the purpose sunk attractions. While not Lake Michigan it was a wonderful fall day spent diving. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom