Where can I get #24 cave line in a hurry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on rigging my gear for a dive this Monday, but my reel will not arrive in time. I was planning to use the line from my reel to rig my gear (SPG, backup light, primary bolt snap, etc.).

Anyone know if Home Depot or anywhere that I can get to locally would sell #24 cave line or an equivalent? Isn't it just .073'/1.86mm braided nylon twine?

You can always use braided nylon from most any place (Lowes, Home Dept) but if all else fails, I will bring my reel and you can get some off it. Braided dacron fishing line should work very nicely as well.

I've always bought mine at home depot. It seems to be identical to the line halcyon sends on its spools. Usually it's in the hardware section near the rope.

They usually have 18# line from my experience which will work fine for what you mentioned. You may want to just get a spool of #24 from EE or reefscuba.com.

If you guys head up to Rawlings again let me know! I can't make it this Monday, but if I don't have anything planned I am always game for a run up there. I can flip a mean burger also... :)

Tommy

HD and Lowes around here only carries twisted nylon line. Not braided.

Roak

I will scope out the Depot and see what I can come up with or borrow some from Herman...#18 would work until I can get my reel...just don't want to pay next day air shipping...

Tommy...sorry you can't make it. This will be my first trip down to Rawlings, but anytime you guys are going I would love to join you.

--Eric

I have a sh*tload of zipties...I can't spare any because I use them for so many other things underwater...

For example, I use them to streamline my wing at depth... Just deflate at surface and ziptie the wing once you start your descent...holds a lot better than BWOD style wings...

And who needs a jonline when you can ziptie yourself to the anchor line...this size ziptie also makes a darn fine weightbelt...just hard to ditch...

I carry one the size of a dog collar and ziptie my reg in my mouth in case I experience deep water blackout...just don't try to switch regs...you need bolt cutters to get through a ziptie that thick...

I use them to hold up my booties, keep my gloves nice and tight, and to constrict my urethra so I don't pee in my wetsuit...darn those things are useful!

UP, are you a majority investor in a ziptie company or just a ziptie zealot? :wink:

I could...nah, anyway... I will let you know how I rigged it in the meantime and if it gave me any trouble. I will probably use zipties if Home Depot doesn't have anything other than anchor chain or kite string...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom