Question Where are you viewing the 2023 & 2024 Solar Eclipses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have decided to drive from California to Texas to see the eclipse (gotta see it once) if the weather looks decent.

I will stay with a friend near Tucson and boondock elsewhere.

It's going to be a long drive but everyone who's seen it tells me it's worth it.

Too bad I can't combine it with some diving.
You could hit blue hole in Santa Rosa NM on the way. It isn’t life changing, but an interesting one time dive if you’re going to drive through.

I live in a central MO town that had full view of the August 2017 total solar eclipse. I viewed it, with my coworkers, from the campus golf course, nearby, where we had set up a picnic/buffet/view party. Definitely among the most amazing events I've ever experienced!

My folks live in a central TX town that will have full view of next month's total solar eclipse. I'm sensing a road trip!

I wonder what it would be like to be (ocean) diving when a total solar eclipse passes overhead.

rx7diver

I have decided to drive from California to Texas to see the eclipse (gotta see it once) if the weather looks decent.
Weather is certainly a risk as it'd be a bummer if clouds blocked your viewing on E-day. You can check the forecast two days in advance and get a reasonable guess but no guarantees. That happened to me for my first attempt when I drove to Carlsbad New Mexico for one, but we traveled to Idaho in hope in 2017 and it was wonderful. It is the last Total Solar Eclipse visible in the US for 20 years so that makes the risk more acceptable to me.
You could hit blue hole in Santa Rosa NM on the way. It isn’t life changing, but an interesting one time dive if you’re going to drive through.
Good idea. It is right off I-40 and an interesting site to dive.

Weather is certainly a risk as it'd be a bummer if clouds blocked your viewing on E-day. You can check the forecast two days in advance and get a reasonable guess but no guarantees.
They give rainchecks, right?

My plan is to head south if the weather cooperates. The shortest drive to intercept the full duration is in western Indiana. It should be a 3.5 hour drive, but will depend on how many other people have the same idea.

I was in 5th grade in Missoula, Montana during the 1979 eclipse. Unfortunately it was overcast at my house. I was at least hoping my Labrador Retriever would do something because I'd read all these stories of dogs freaking out, but she didn't even notice.

Hey, my daughter is the same age as I was. 45 years from now maybe she'll be remembering when clouds covered the eclipse and her dog slept through it.

I guess there are many videos of and about Solar Eclipses, but this fellow does a great job of describing his first one - before he started traveling the world to see them...

Hey, my daughter is the same age as I was. 45 years from now maybe she'll be remembering when clouds covered the eclipse and her dog slept through it.
Well, the next one for the US will be 20 years from now: August 23, 2044 even tho it'll be total for a very small part of our nation.

From National Eclipse
1709266873541.png

Here in Eclipseboro, they are already selling t-shirts at the local Walmart.
My sister is taking her Aairstram tailer to Hillsboro for a few days in a gated Airstream facility. Those AS clubs are a different type of people. I think she's paying $1,000 for the package but it includes some meals and side trips as well. I think that Walmart sold out of Eclipse Ts at Walmart.com.
I’m in the Abq area, so i was treated to the 2023 eclipse, so I’m not traveling to the 2024 episode.

View from my back yard with my wife’s camera through a filter.
Many get hooked after seeing their first eclipse, but then you saw an Annular and this is Total. They are different.

I will stay with a friend near Tucson and boondock elsewhere.

It's going to be a long drive but everyone who's seen it tells me it's worth it.

Too bad I can't combine it with some diving.
Still coming? Going to dive Santa Rosa's Blue Hole? It was featured the book "Grapes of Wrath."
My folks live in a central TX town that will have full view of next month's total solar eclipse. I'm sensing a road trip!
You and millions of others.
I wonder what it would be like to be (ocean) diving when a total solar eclipse passes overhead.
With Totality, similar to a night dive I think. We had one in my home county a few years ago, with a long Total period that lasted into the sunset, and we didn't need solar viewers in the last several minutes.

I wanted to get closer to the centerline for a longer Totality period but Meridian State Park booked out in a mad rush in two minutes of opening so I tried the town of Meridian, 24 miles south of Glen Rose and two miles from the SP. I saw that the little town of 1500 had three parks on the river thru town so I called about restrooms. All parks have restrooms and the Chamber of Commerce is bringing in extra portapotties. They're only charging $10 for parking and one park has a playground. It's a cute little town with a lovely county courthouse and while it amazes me that a town that small has a Chamber and three parks, but it's different around there - very scenic and a park of some sort - city, county, state, or lake - every 5 miles across several counties.

My daughter's Dodge Caravan is the only vehicle in the family that would haul all seven of us, and she had transmission issues downstate last weekend. It was okay after cleaning the filter and adding O'Reily's LUBEGUARD to the new fluid, but those pieces filling the filter are worrisome. I think she needs a $3,500 rebuilt. Then we can gas up and buy subways the night before, load up and check out early that morning, drive down early in case of traffic, the kids can play on the playground, and we can watch for an hour as the eclipse builds and totals for over 4 minutes with Baily's Beads and Diamond Rings.

Otherwise, I'll take my old Impala - love that car, but its maximum load is five passengers. I don't think we can break up my daughter's household of two adults, two Chinese teens going to highschool here, and two preschool great grandkids, so I may go alone.

Still coming? Going to dive Santa Rosa's Blue Hole? It was featured the book "Grapes of Wrath."
I am still planning on it! I have tickets for the event at the Lowell Observatory.

I will look into the Blue Hole. If nothing else, it will break up the long trip.

We plan to go to Quebec, we got a reservation for a hotel right in the path of totality, so clouds or not, it will go dark.

I just firmed up my plans. I will be going to a Birds in Fight/Solar Eclipse Photography afternoon at the Canadian Raptor Conservancy. It is just a few km (miles) from the north shore of Lake Erie. From there, I should get about 3 minutes of Totality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom