Question Where are you viewing the 2023 & 2024 Solar Eclipses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonora Texas is virtually on the centerline for the October Annular event and very close to the totality area for the April eclipse with 99% coverage.

Yet I’m 1500 miles away in Sonora california

Sonora, Sonora, let’s call the whole thing off!

My sister enjoys RV camping in her Airstream and attends Airstream rallies. She got an invitation to an Airstream RV park in Hillsboro for a $1,000 weekend in a space that normally goes for $30/night. I suggested camping in Meridian 40 miles away which gets over 4 minutes of Totality.

Even though we live in a residential neighborhood, we do own the vacant lot next door.

We have it planted in native wildflowers and over a dozen trees.

My biggest fear is someone assuming it is just a weed lot and pulls up and makes camp.

The 2017 event was terrific. We lucked out with clear skies. I practiced my photography a few days earlier.
1681781418193.png

I'm thinking of anchoring the boat off Cleveland, but it'll be weather dependent. Spring in the Great Lakes means clouds 90% of the time...

I'm thinking of anchoring the boat off Cleveland, but it'll be weather dependent. Spring in the Great Lakes means clouds 90% of the time...

I'd be a worthy adventure, chasing clear spots. The October event will a partial there so don't miss it too. The next one will be decades later. Ordered viewers yet?

I should have stressed this in post #1, but even those who are not going to travel to the centerline or nearby maximum/total obscurity should order eclipse viewers wherever they are. While the 2023 event will cross from Oregon to Texas, viewers even in Ohio can see up to 40% obscuration, in Illinois up to 53% with safe glasses, and for a buck or two each, you really shouldn't miss it. Then safe the glasses for the next event six months later in April - the last total eclipse in the US for decades! For the latter event that is total from Texas to Maine, some in Wyoming can still see 62% obscurity with viewers.

I ordered eclipse Ts for my daughter's household and our spring break trip from the only vendor I could find at the time. They said "October 2023" without the date so I have been penciling that in since with a white paint stick. Now I have found a better vendor with better prices and choices even tho some of the selections fail to mention the 14th for October. You can Search by Eclipse 2023 or Eclipse 2024. See https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirts

KGEJ2452.JPG

Only four months until the Annular and six more until the Total. I have a few plastic-framed glasses and a few dozen paper-framed ones to share, and the little private school where my daughter is principal is getting interested. The October eclipse is on a Saturday so easy for them to organize something, and while the April eclipse is on a Monday, it's the big deal and I hope that they close for the day and encourage outings.

Just to check how bad the hotel situation is, I looked at Gainesville Texas for the weekend and they've come back down to reasonable rates. I booked two suites at the Comfort for that Sunday night before, fully refundable the day before if the weather forecast is better for Lampasses or Fredericksburg. I'd sleep in my car if I had to, but it's comfy.

For the October event, we need to make groups arrangements at Bottomless Lakes State Park NM, a Hobbs NM park, and a Midland-Odessa park depending on weather forecasts. Or it they won't, then I'll pick those out for myself.

Driving one hour south of here to Brantford Ontario for the April 2024 eclipse

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom