When Your Dive Comp Band Suddenly Disintegrates During A Liveaboard Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was searching through my desk drawer this evening when I found the original extension strap for my D4i. This has been in a drawer for four years. Never seen the direct sun, sunscreen or any harsh chemicals. Just in the dark for four years.

I gave it a gentle tug and….

strap.jpg

Well, now that I measure I see that it's 20mm. There are plenty of NATO-style straps available at that width.
They are pretty common and they really protect you from losing your, er, PDC. :D :D :D

Thanks for you help.
My pleasure!

I'm no suunto fan, but I just wanted to jump in and say that I don't think this is really a problem specific to suunto computers. Rubber watch bands degrade over time and break without warning. I've had the same thing happen with two Scubapro computers. It's just a fact of life with rubber watch bands.

As you've noticed, you can opt to use something other than a rubber watch band. In addition to going with that nato band, you could probably find bands that fit which are made of various metals (even gold, if you want to pay). Many folks swap their dive computer straps for bungee cords. Those last a long time and are easier to don/doff since all you do is stretch it out until your hand fits in it.

Well.. I guess I should back up a little. It IS suunto's fault they elected to sell a computer with a rubber band, but that's very common. They could have sold the computer with a metal watch band (some suunto computers come with metal bands I think). They could have sold a computer with bungee or nato straps, too. Those all have drawbacks that I'm sure suunto wanted to avoid (high cost with metal bands, less aesthetically pleasing with bungee).

Back
Top Bottom