Diving is so much work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We had, or rather I had a relatively uneventful dive today at Golf Ball Reef, but first, a bit of history.
For the past few years, we have had little to no function with our fishfinder. Reading everything I could find about the problem, I made several unsuccessful repairs. I updated the firmware, installed a larger battery, replaced the battery switches with a new panel, replaced alternators four times, replaced the GPS/Fishfinder combo, replaced the sonar module, replaced the cable, and replaced the transducer. I was going to wire the unit directly to a battery last week but decided to trace the wiring first to make sure I could wire it to an unused toggle switch on our dashboard.
The end of the sonar power wire was connected to the radio switch. I unplugged it and plugged it into the unused switch and suddenly I had a working fishfinder again. Apparently, the fishfinder was receiving interference from the radio. A lot of hours and dollars were wasted in this simple repair.
On to the dive. We arrived at Golf Ball Reef using the GPS and fishfinder together for the first time in years. The surface water was green, full of plankton and looked uninviting. We were here and were going diving no matter what. Visibility on the bottom was a pleasant twenty feet. Less than a foot from the anchor chain was a mating pair of Peltodoris mullineri. As I was photographing them, Merry arrived to tell me her drysuit was flooding. She aborted the dive while I stuck it out despite a leaky left sleeve on my suit. Berthella californica were everywhere, as were their large egg ribbons. I found two small Berthella chacei and managed to get one to stick on my stage. Paguristes ulreyi, Furry hermit crabs were piled on many rocks. I found a Berthella californica piled on a Furry Hermit crab. Juvenile Vermilion rockfish, Sebastes miniatus flitted just above the reef while a sea lion buzzed me a couple of times. After I surfaced, Merry and I hung our wet drysuits and headed back to the marina, contemplating more costly drysuit repairs/replacements. Merry suggested selling her camera and giving up diving altogether. She was only half-serious, but we really need a good dive soon.

1645919428079.png

Berthella californica

1645919463279.png

Berthella chacei

1645919503030.png

Henricia leviuscula, blood star

1645919534767.png

Sebastes miniatus, juvenile Vermilion rockfish

1645919573396.png

Peltodoris mullineri

1645919608895.png

Aplysia californica, California sea hare

1645919646968.png

Paguristes ulreyi, Furry hermit crab

1645919681814.png

Dysidea amblia

1645919713410.png

Berthella californica eggs

1645919749197.png

Rhinogobiops nicholsii, Blackeye goby

51906641710_8c14a52f28_b.jpg

Paguristes ulreyi, Furry hermit crab

1645919819965.png

Berthella californica crawling on a Paguristes ulreyi, Furry hermit crab

Attachments

• 1645919784353.png
    1645919784353.png
    948.3 KB · Views: 174
Thank you for the great photos. I needed a "pick me up" today after listening to the news!

Wonderful as always and ty for the name with it.

Thank you for sharing those magnificent pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom