When you don't dive you config your gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have an OPV on the pony-bottle first-stage? (hard to tell from the photos)

Have you considered mounting the pony bottle first stage at a 90 degree angle to how it is mounted now? It looks like the hose shoots straight out to the side then makes a 90deg bend up, which is unnecessary. Why not mount the first stage with the hose pointing up?

The OPV is on the 1st stage you just cannot see it, I have the oceanic mini SPG.

Good point on the hose mounting for the pony, I will try it pointing up next time I config it, thanks.

MG

I tend to dive like a Sea Lion in the kelp so being streamlined is very important to me. Anything that can snag gets changed. My scooters left handle is coming off for that very reason. It snags when clipped off, and swimming around. Getting rid of and changing around some of your gear could prevent something sticking in there. For instance the handle on the top of the tank is not needed underwater, but does leave a space open for something to get caught on it.

Are the pony bands going to hold up to a good whack? The picture does not reveal much on them, but it looks like they could let the cylinder fall away. Can you clip off your SPG with gloves on and eyes closed? The pictures makes it look hard to do. Have you dove with your tank that high before? I keep my top band right at the top of the tank, but we have different brands of gear, so it does not mean much. Plus you have a pony tank and I do not use one since I also have doubles when needed. The fourth picture shows your weight pocket sticking out, and it looks like your knife is going to protrude out too. Could that snag that on kelp?

Just a side note that with weight integrated you can not take off your BC underwater, without you trying to go up as your gear tries to hit the bottom. That is why many technical divers wear a weight belt separate of their harness. Also the can light goes on the right side of the harness. Not sure where you "are" going to put yours in the future :)

I would highly recommend the book "Dress For Success". It explains the hows and whys of technical diving configurations.

Mike you have some really nice gear there :)

Rob, fill me in on why you would want an OPV? I can see it on an argon bottle but the reg can just free flow. He does have a button gauge on it.

Rob, fill me in on why you would want an OPV? I can see it on an argon bottle but the reg can just free flow. He does have a button gauge on it.

No reason; just curious.

I tend to dive like a Sea Lion in the kelp so being streamlined is very important to me. Anything that can snag gets changed. My scooters left handle is coming off for that very reason. It snags when clipped off, and swimming around. Getting rid of and changing around some of your gear could prevent something sticking in there. For instance the handle on the top of the tank is not needed underwater, but does leave a space open for something to get caught on it.

Are the pony bands going to hold up to a good whack? The picture does not reveal much on them, but it looks like they could let the cylinder fall away. Can you clip off your SPG with gloves on and eyes closed? The pictures makes it look hard to do. Have you dove with your tank that high before? I keep my top band right at the top of the tank, but we have different brands of gear, so it does not mean much. Plus you have a pony tank and I do not use one since I also have doubles when needed. The fourth picture shows your weight pocket sticking out, and it looks like your knife is going to protrude out too. Could that snag that on kelp?

Just a side note that with weight integrated you can not take off your BC underwater, without you trying to go up as your gear tries to hit the bottom. That is why many technical divers wear a weight belt separate of their harness. Also the can light goes on the right side of the harness. Not sure where you "are" going to put yours in the future :)

I would highly recommend the book "Dress For Success". It explains the hows and whys of technical diving configurations.

Mike you have some really nice gear there :)

Wow,

Thanks for all the awesome comments I've taken a lot into consideration...

The pony bottle has the X-bracket which is held by two stainless steel bands it's just that the black bands occlude them; they are not going anywhere.

The rubber bands were placed there for routing the hose and nothing more than that.

Regarding my integrated ditchable weights, as I move to technical diving they can come off completely and I can wear a standard weight belt.

I've dove that knife for all my whopping 51 dives through a lot of kelp I too love to swim through it rather than around it, knock on wood it has never gotten snagged.

I get more snagged with my dive knife on my inner left leg. Funny you mention the tank grip, divers hate it but I've never had a problem and I mean never with all my dives.

I've been just waiting for it to happen since a lot have warned me about the potential hazards, maybe I'll remove it when I learn how to do wrecks and the instructor request I ditch it.

For the most part it is so handy when I'm moving my gear to my car etc... Without the handle that tank valve is always wet and slipery.

I still need to dive this setup with the Drysuit and I just talked to my instructor and it looks like it's going to happen real soon.

Can hardly wait....

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom