What do you carry with you when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

was showing off. I just designed and printed it out of ABS. Less bulk than a gopro handle
That's what I want, something smaller than this bulky thing
IMG_20241026_115706.jpg

What no compass what diving is this that everyone is claiming they are doing without a compass

I Don't Leave Home Without It!

Hello all,

I'm trying to prepare for eventualities when diving and was wondering what you all carry with you when underwater? I'm talking in addition to the basic SCUBA components (BCD, Tank, Regs etc).

Right now, I've got a pair of EMT shears in one BCD pocket, and a Safety Sausage in the other. I haven't been carrying a spare mask with me, but I'm considering that as well.

Most of the diving I do is Tropical, a combination of shore and boat dives.

Thoughts?

Thanks! (Heading to Curacao in a few weeks!)
In tropical resort areas I carry my DSMB plus short line spool and a line/rescue cutter. I have a tiny little light for looking under crevices clipped to my right D-ring. And my Nauticam NA6400. Nothing else. In Florida on the deep Keys wrecks or out of Jupiter and WPB I also carry a Tekna knife in addition to the line cutter.

If I am solo diving in Florida I will have a 19/30 cf slung pony, my primary back gas regulator will be a single second stage G250 and a Mark V and G250 or R195 on the slung pony bottle.

I usually wear two computers. That is about it, I do not carry much since I adhere closely to Hogarthian minimalism.

What no compass what diving is this that everyone is claiming they are doing without a compass

I Don't Leave Home Without It!
My new computer has a compass. If I am in an area where compass navigation is a necessity or probability then I will probably bring a real wrist compass which is always in my bag.

My new computer has a compass. If I am in an area where compass navigation is a necessity or probability then I will probably bring a real wrist compass which is always in my bag.
Is this because you're not as confident in your DC's compass?

For me, it is just quicker to glance at my Suunto SK8 compass [the only Suunto kit I own now] than press buttons, even if it is simple on my Perdix to find.

Oh, and old habit die hard.

Always - these two are mounted on my BCD, are small and light.
secondary light
line cutter

Usually
Nikon Coolpix W300 in a pocket. It has a short leash that I can clip on a wrist strap.

Fresh water
Tesla key clipped in a pocket.

Salt Water
DSMB and reel in a pocket.

I haven't been on a dive where I could use my Jon line. I almost never wear a compass or bring a primary light. However, the next time I get an insta-buddy on reef dive will bring the compass.

No, and it may change but I find thus far the standard magnetic compass with a high tilt table to be easier to read and more predictive of future direction.

The Shearwater compass is okay and I can do fine with it, just at this time, it is new to me and it seems I chase my tail more with lead and lag and overshoot. It is probably a skill development that practice in actual diving will remedy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom