What do you carry with you when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These!

IMG_0214.jpeg

Apart from the basic required gear (BC, mask, fins, regulator, weights, tank, computer) my usual dives also have the following:
Backup computer
Knife
Shears
DSMB and reel
Nautilus VHF radio
GoPro
Speargun
Extra spear(s)
Stringer
Light (on speargun)
Backup light
Powerhead (PPD)
Shark Shield

Looks like a lot, but it’s all tucked away nicely. Only the Shark Shield, and sometimes the stringer would be considered dangling.

For open water dives I generally carry a butt mounted pouch with: Garmin InReach, flashlight, whistle, SMB, and a finger spool. I can get in and out of this pouch pretty easily but generally don't need to so it stays back behind me out of the way and I don't even notice it is there. Sometime I carry a nautilus lifeline in this pouch also depending on if my girlfriend is diving with me or not (she carries it when she is diving with me). Z knife on my computer (both computers if I'm carrying two), extra double enders on my computer/s, wrist slate on my computer. For spearfishing I carry an extra SMB on my butt D ring in case I want to send a fish to the surface for the boat to pick up.
I will supplement my previous reply. All safety equipment like line cutters, surface whistle, and mirror are always on the BC, so I don't think about them separately. I have two cutting devices in the center triangle that I can reach either with either hand. Mirror and whistle are together on left shoulder. These are on every dive. Everything else is dependent on dive profile. Audible signaling underwater is not necessary IMHO, and is generally annoying.
Sorry, when I said "Audio signaling device" I meant something for surface use. I have edited my post

Nautilus Lifeline, Mirror, Storm Whistle, Safety Sausage with Spool, Mini Fogcutter Knife/Shears, maybe a GoPro and the usual other stuff.

Warm water minimalist travel diver here.

Always: cutting tool, used to be a knife, now EMT shears

Usually: clipped on light, clipped on cheap gopro clone in case I come across something unusual

When it makes sense: DSMB, compass

I carry two knives, one on my leg. one on or in BC. At least one smb. A pony bottle usually. I also carry a light.

I think a light should be considered a safety item.
If you are lost at sea and the search continues into the night, a dive light can be tremendously helpful. You can get a decent, bright LED light that is hardly bigger than your thumb for $50.

Off topic.
What handle is that on the Gopro ? I have not seen that one.
I was showing off. I just designed and printed it out of ABS. Less bulk than a gopro handle, perfect size to palm and clip off, hold while running video, and easily fits in a pocket for stowing away.

Back
Top Bottom