When turning on your air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markdone:
Again, an absolute truth. I can tell you for a fact that my rig with an S600 will give me exactly 3 nice breaths, which means I'm OOA at about 5-10 feet down. At best, it's embarrassing. I've heard people don't do well without air underwater, so it could even be dangerous.
It's the exactly 3 breaths thing that is the probem. The one and only time I will admit to doing this, I got all of breath number 3 and then fully exhaled to speed the descent and of course got absolulutely nothing from my regulator. (No warning of an impending OOA is the downside of a balanced high performance regulator.) This leaves the OOA diver with no air in his or her lungs and about 15 seconds to work the problem before things get interesting.

Markdone:
The other thing that's possible is not turning your air fully on. The real serious problem here is you may not get full flow, which will let you breath ok at shallow depths, but you may find yourself at depth and unable to get a lungful. You can catch this if you watch your SPG as you take those first few breaths - if the pressure drops and recovers on each breath, your air is not fully on.
That's an excellent point. As Rick points out, it is easy to detect with needle drop on the SPG when you inhale. It's also a excellent reason to be sure you can reach your tank valve(s) in the water.

That skill is taught in virtually every tech course, but is seldom seen in OW or AOW courses with single tanks where it would be a potentially bigger problem.

----

In the spirit of things that can possibly go wrong, you also want to note if your SPG reading does not change. For example at about 110 feet I noted I had 1870 psi left and then a few minutes later I noted that I still had 1870 psi left. In this case, I was using an air integrated computer with an uwatec quick disconnect attached to the first stage. The fitting had unscrewed just enough to stop the flow of gas and trap the pressure in the hose. If I had not noticed the "stuck" reading, and/or had not wondered why I had more gas left than expected, I could have breathed the tank dry and still had an 1870 psi reading. I don't use that model of quick disconnect anymore and Uwatec no longer sells them so I suspect mine was not the only occurrence.

Similarly, mechanical SPG needles can stick, especially if there is some corrosion going on inside, so you not only want to note your SPG reading but also remember it so you can tell if the next reading is different.

I like to live on the edge, so I look at the SPG when I open the valve............hmmm.

DA Aquamaster:
In the old days it was possible for an SPG to shatter it's glass when the air was turned on. However this does not happen with newer SPG's - but none the less, the tradition continues as old instructors teach new students some of whom become new instructors and pass it on to yet another generation of students.

....sorta like kicking the tires when purchasing a new vehicle (I still see this being done).

Today (this changed many years ago) SPG are equipped with ports that prevent the cover from breaking. I've never seen one ever blow up, but for whatever reason, everyone, including myself, still teach it this way. :huh: Another old habit continued today is turning the tank valve on all the way and cranking it back a 1/4 turn. Again this habit is from the 50's when if you turned the valve all the way open and left it that way, it would damage the valve. Not true anymore.

brianstclair:
Why is that not true anymore? And why was that true before?

Brian
Which? :confused:

Sorry... why was it that opening the valve all the way damaged it before, and why is it that it no longer does.

Brian

Fish_Whisperer:
I always wondered why, after opening the valve, we turned it back a quarter turn. Thank you!

"The more you know..." :D

In most industry installations, the reason for opening a valve a QUARTER turn is so that it will not get stuck in the open position. If there is a problem, you can still turn it EITHER way to get it to come loose. The reason for a quarter, not a half or full as some will tell you is that it can restrict the flow to the regs, making it more difficult to breathe properly, especially at depth.

I do agree with those who do not like for ANYONE, including "helpful" DMs, to touch my valves after I had turned them on. The only times (twice) I have had a problem was when a DM "checked" my air for me immediately prior to entry. It gets interesting when you reach about 25 FSW and then inhale nothing. I also agree that you should be able to reach your valve AND practice turning it while in the water as everything fits differently when you are neutral.

DSDO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom