when to 100'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech108diver:
Ok Stop! I personally know and dive/climb/ride sportbikes with crazy fingers. It has been my past experience that of the groups that we climb/dive/ride with he is usually the one making the plans and saving OUR asses. Look the guy does not have a death wish and has no immediate plans to end his life.... You guys are WAY over the top. Prhaps I should spend my first 10 dives diving in waters less then 6 feet. That way If **** hits the fan I can you know...just stand up. maybe we should start a petition to get hookah systems set up at most major reefs and wreaks so that the diver has another "out". Look I'm not seasoned pro but I have a good share of dives under my belt. I dont want to die either but the fact is there are agencies that OW cert to 130ft RIGHT OFF THE BAT. If the poster of this thred was saying that he was interested in going to 150ft after a few dives then ok, yeah get on the guy. but not going past 60' because your cert card says NO NO is insane.
Would you please let me know which agencies certifiy to 130ft. on an Open Water Cert? Perhaps they include extra training in *all* their classes, and I'd be interested in looking into them for a few advanced certs...

The "confined training" in the pool takes place so you can do just that... "stand up." The majority of non-medical diving fatalities are panic-related. Panic, at extremes (depth induced narcosis, overheads, current, etc.) is minimized with experience. Why is that such a difficult concept?

No one is telling the OP that he can NOT do the deep dive. If he wants to do it, do it. Like you, I happen to subscribe to the idea of holding your fate in your own hands, and taking responsibility for any consequences... yourself. They're simply advising him of their opinions based on an aggregate of tens of thousands of dives. They're also advising him that your buddy, Crazy Fingers', advice is ill conceived, based upon many more years of experience (with all due respect to CF's planning abilities).

So, chill. Personally, I don't give a rat's butt *what* you and CF do. However, lousy advice to newbies is still lousy advice...

[EDIT: Perhaps it's time for a MOD to take this thread out of it's misery]

Look, if they hit all the marks just right a scientific diver could qualify for 100 feet with:
  1. 12 dives in their intital training.
  2. 12 dives to 30 feet with a qualifed partner.
  3. 12 dives to 60 feet with a qualifed partner.
  4. 12 dives to 100 feet with a qulaified partner.
That's 48 supervised dives before applying for a 100 foot qualification. Hard to pull off, but possible. It's not the number of dives, it's the type of dives and experiences gained. As we've always said, "Making the same dive 1000 times is still just the same dive."

Thalassamania:
Look, if they hit all the marks just right a scientific diver could qualify for 100 feet with:
  1. 12 dives in their intital training.
  2. 12 dives to 30 feet with a qualifed partner.
  3. 12 dives to 60 feet with a qualifed partner.
  4. 12 dives to 100 feet with a qulaified partner.
That's 48 supervised dives before applying for a 100 foot qualification. Hard to pull off, but possible. It's not the number of dives, it's the type of dives and experiences gained. As we've always said, "Making the same dive 1000 times is still just the same dive."

In the recreational world, that is more supervised dive training (at least in number of dives, and probably in quality of training) then most diver get in their whole lives.

dsteding:
In the recreational world, that is more supervised dive training (at least in number of dives, and probably in quality of training) then most diver get in their whole lives.
It is unfortunate that there is likely truth in what you say.

boulderjohn:
Sorry--I didn't realize my point was so obscure. I guess I should have explained it carefully: being comfortable and being safe are not always the same thing.

Sorry, I didn't see that in an anecdote about an chemically impaired "experienced" diver free falling over a wall, and how it related to the OP's question.

I just got my open water cert in march, and have about 40 dives this year. I didn't go too deep my first couple of trips (65' or so) but since then I have gone down to 95'. I have also dine a couple dives that I was told were pretty advanced. I have felt comfortable in every dive I have done. If I don't feel comfortable I won't do it. I am starting my advanced cert the beginning of the year and don't plan to go much deeper than 100' any time soon. Does this sound like too deep to soon? I think some people will say it is, but I have felt safe on every dive I have done.

Hollywood13:
I just got my open water cert in march, and have about 40 dives this year. I didn't go too deep my first couple of trips (65' or so) but since then I have gone down to 95'. I have also dine a couple dives that I was told were pretty advanced. I have felt comfortable in every dive I have done. If I don't feel comfortable I won't do it. I am starting my advanced cert the beginning of the year and don't plan to go much deeper than 100' any time soon. Does this sound like too deep to soon? I think some people will say it is, but I have felt safe on every dive I have done.

That's pretty much the whole point of the thread. As long as your reg is working properly and nothing bad is happening, you'll probably "feel comfortable" at almost any depth.

This is completely different than being trained to handle problems.

Say for example, you're at 100', feeling fine, and wander into a net or wad of monofilament or get your mask knocked off or your reg knocked out or run out of air.

What now? You're no longer feeling comfortable, but do you know what to do? Does your buddy know what to do? Will he do it? Does he even know where you are?

Terry

Hollywood13:

Once again, the magical "felt comfortable" rears it's head.

It is not a matter of being comfortable when things go right. It is a matter of being able to get out of it alive and uninjured when things go wrong...

Please do some deep training. I am not talking deco. I am talking about just recrational deep diver training.

Going to 100 feet in warm Florida water after 20 or so dives if accompanied by well trained good buddies should not be that big of a deal for some divers. The PADI AOW course gives the diver a chance to do a few more challenging dives under the guidance of an instructor. A diver can gain similar experience when diving with qualified buddies.

However, a few people (crazyfingers?) seem to be unable to distinguish the relative danger between diving to 100 versus diving to 150 ft. There is a huge difference and the inability to recognize this is indicative of a significant amount of inexperience, if not recklessness.

Back
Top Bottom