When should someone take the DIRF / DIR-F class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok,
here's my delimma.

I'm a DIY, techno junky type of guy I love learning new stuff and pushing myself to new levels. I got certified back in 85, but didn't start diving much till 2001. I have 40 dives now and am well aware how much more I need to know and do.
I have 20+ dives or so on my BP/wing 7' hose (40 total) and have a goal to do wreck diving some day. I know I have to have 100 dives to do the Rec Triox class, so that is my goal for now.

Here is where I'm not sure of what to do. I just found out a DIRf class is going to be held here in my neck of the woods. Am I better off taking it now or waiting till next summer. I know I will learn a bunch, but will I get more out of it after I have another year of dives? Plus the guy that ligned it up is getting certified as a GUE instructor, so there will actually be one here in Colorado. I could even take it in March down in Florida (assuming there is a class offered close enough to the Sarasota area....).
What is the general feeling on this?

thanks
Greg

The sooner you take it the better cause you have less bad habits to get rid of... this course is for any levels of diving

Good point, but is there going to be skills that are above my ability?
I think I read somewhere that I could go back and sit through the class again???? Does this mean I can work with the instructor too, or are there limits to what I could do?

Dr. Frankenmule:
One of the guys in my class had 8 dives before the start of class. The class is about basic skills so there shouldn't be anything you can't handle.

I think I read somewhere that I could go back and sit through the class again???? Does this mean I can work with the instructor too, or are there limits to what I could do?
I believe that depends on the instructor.

So you end up not looking so good on video. No problem! The important thing is to take away knowlegd from the class and you have several new buddies who want to see you suceed in improving your diving. Most of the people who take this class do cringe when they see themselves for the first time. By the second day, they are so impressed by what the video is telling them they need to do to improve. They go back home and practice with renewed enthusiasm. Some take the class again and some just come to hang out with new the students.

Although the instructors can't really spend one on one time with someone just sitting in on the class (remember, there are paying customers), you would be suprised that they do see you (and they do remember you) and will probably comment on your form during one of the typical dinner get togethers. If they don't, there are plenty of formers students who will glady chuck you under the bus if the need arises :wink: I know that happened to a couple of my dive buddies last week at Gilboa. Yes, it was caught on video. Good thing I wasn't there that day or I could have been pulled into it.

Dr. Frankenmule:

Dr. Frankenmule:
Ok,
here's my delimma.

I'm a DIY, techno junky type of guy I love learning new stuff and pushing myself to new levels. I got certified back in 85, but didn't start diving much till 2001. I have 40 dives now and am well aware how much more I need to know and do.
I have 20+ dives or so on my BP/wing 7' hose (40 total) and have a goal to do wreck diving some day. I know I have to have 100 dives to do the Rec Triox class, so that is my goal for now.

Here is where I'm not sure of what to do. I just found out a DIRf class is going to be held here in my neck of the woods. Am I better off taking it now or waiting till next summer. I know I will learn a bunch, but will I get more out of it after I have another year of dives? Plus the guy that ligned it up is getting certified as a GUE instructor, so there will actually be one here in Colorado. I could even take it in March down in Florida (assuming there is a class offered close enough to the Sarasota area....).
What is the general feeling on this?

thanks
Greg
Take it this year. Are you planning Gilboa in August? Brando is great and you will definately improve. :dazzler1:

Nope,
I'm doing the class here in Colorado, the instructor is coming in September. I just want to get paid up before the 6 slots are gone.
thanks everyone, I will take it now.
Greg

DS1:
The sooner you take it the better cause you have less bad habits to get rid of... this course is for any levels of diving
I can't add a single thing to this statement, it's direct, terse, to the point and completely correct.

Roak

I wish I could have taken DIR-F 25 years ago.

Taking it sooner is better.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom