When might ditching a dry suit be necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd assume that a flooded suit is not the end of the world, other than being wet and cold. No reason one should not be able to unhappily swim it up.

It could be problematic if you have decompression obligation. Being cold while decompressing is really not a good idea. Besides hypothermia, DCS can hit in such conditions.

With my current suit (purchased second hand from ebay), I made a first test in the pool. It had some minor leaks and it got flooded underwater. Temperature was not a problem since I was in a pool, but exiting on the pool ladder with the suit flooded and with 2x12l steel doubles in the back was...mmm...interesting.
However, I cannot imagine a situation in which you have to doff it underwater. And how can you do that safely...

if it became life or death to get up a ladder or what ever else exit due to a flooded suit, yes, there would be a slice in each leg to get the water out as i got above the surface. Repair/replace vs. drowned is a better option.
Of course. But that, too, would (IMNSHO) be considered as somewhat of an overkill for a drill...

Of course. But that, too, would (IMNSHO) be considered as somewhat of an overkill for a drill...

should have seen the look of terror on the "victim's" face in rescue when i pulled out a z-knife to go at their BC......:cool2:

It could be problematic if you have decompression obligation. Being cold while decompressing is really not a good idea. Besides hypothermia, DCS can hit in such conditions.

This is where a good undergarment comes in really handy. I've owned a few over the years that will maintain warmth even when wet, including my current White's Thermal Fusion. With a good choice of undergarment you might be somewhat chilled, and probably uncomfortable, but not cold to the point where hypothermia becomes a concern. I've done 45 minute ascents in a flooded suit before and it wasn't really a big deal ... even in 50-degree water. As noted, the biggest concern was carrying all that water up the ladder ... which is made a lot easier by dropping your rig before you start to climb.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added February 28th, 2014 at 07:10 AM ----------

should have seen the look of terror on the "victim's" face in rescue when i pulled out a z-knife to go at their BC......:cool2:

One of my standard rescue scenarios is to have the students cut a "victim" out of their harness ... but I provide the harness.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One of my standard rescue scenarios is to have the students cut a "victim" out of their harness ... but I provide the harness.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Best ever marketing maneuver for encouraging BP/W purchasing....... :D (I know you don't sell equipment)

Can you imagine a realistic scenario in which getting out of the suit underwater might be necessary?

Since this appears to be a sincere question: here goes.

NEVER

Skills, mostly those that form part of the general best practice for recreational divers of all stripes (sport and technical) are underwritten by an insurance company. You may disagree with the practice, but that's the way it is. Standards for courses that make up each training agency's curriculum are "insurable" which translates into "they can be defended in court." (I can think of a couple that surprisingly are not, but that's another discussion.)

Anyway, there is no way on gods green earth that the training department of any reputable training agency would suggest doffing and donning a drysuit while submerged as a skill.

For the record, I have flooded drysuits a couple of times... I mean flooded... and getting out of the water was difficult... and hampered by the laughter and side-slapping of my dive companions... bastards. It's not something you really need to practice... there is not a right or wrong way... style points do not count. You simply get your arse someplace where you can dump water.

My suggestion. Practice loss of primary buoyancy or something useful.

Last edited:
Since this appears to be a sincere question: here goes.

NEVER...

My suggestion. Practice loss of primary buoyancy or something useful.

Oh, thank goodness. I was sincerely hoping there was no good reason to do this, but figured I'd gut up and give it a go if necessary. Not a pretty process to consider. Yep, already have loss-of-buoyancy on the menu. :)

If it's on fire.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom