When mask comes off at 100 ft ......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting the masked removed or removing the mask underwater is a basic diving skill that everyone should know how to perform. This should be like second nature. I was in Ginnie Springs in Florida this weekend and removed my mask to adjust the strap. Very simple.

You're right ....... it is a basic skill to remove and put a mask back on. Having the mask kicked off and being blinded, and then having a mask sink beyond recreational depths to which would require a disoriented ascent w/out a mask is a different story.

You're right ....... it is a basic skill to remove and put a mask back on. Having the mask kicked off and being blinded, and then having a mask sink beyond recreational depths to which would require a disoriented ascent w/out a mask is a different story.

There is an unreasonable fear in the tone of all your posts on this subject; SALT WATER DOES NOT BLIND YOU!

The salinity of the ocean is very similar to the salinity of our tears (ocular fluid?); mankind has been swimming in the ocean with eyes open for millennia!

The only reason you would be blinded is because you shut your eyes! Even contact wearers can squint and open their eyes underwater without losing the contacts. Instructors who allow closed eyes mask skills are not doing their students a service!

What difference does it make if you are at 100 ft or 10 ft? Pick up the mask and put it back. When you first start opening your eyes in salt water, it will sting, but only a little. Keep doing it and soon you'll have no discomfort at all.

What if the bottom is 2000 feet below you??......Swim fast??? in a downward direction???......

There is an unreasonable fear in the tone of all your posts on this subject; SALT WATER DOES NOT BLIND YOU!

The salinity of the ocean is very similar to the salinity of our tears (ocular fluid?); mankind has been swimming in the ocean with eyes open for millennia!

The only reason you would be blinded is because you shut your eyes! Even contact wearers can squint and open their eyes underwater without losing the contacts. Instructors who allow closed eyes mask skills are not doing their students a service!

More of a fear of the unknown. I guess I just need to practice removing my mask in salt water with my eyes open. From what everyone says, it should be no different than a pool so no worries.

I have had my mask kicked off quite a few times while working with students and new divers. I make a point every time I'm in the water (pool or ocean) to practice taking the mask off and on. Practice definitely makes perfect (especially in cooler waters).

When it happened to me during a certification dive, it was no big deal. I looked for the mask, put it back on and cleared it. No big deal.

You should be able to open your eyes and you should be able to complete an entire dive without a mask. N

I have had people ask me why I usually carry a spare mask, and always with students or on deep dives. My answer is simply "have you tried making a controlled ascent without a mask, so you can't read your gauges?"

You may not be able to just reach down and pick up your mask depending on the type of diving you are doing. If you are hanging on a wall, then you are probably going to kiss your mask goodbye.

I have two pouches on my belt. One contains all my emergency signaling items, and, the second contains a frameless spare mask. If what happened to you happened to me and I couldnt just reach down and retrieve my mask, I would just open the pouch with my frameless mask and put it on.

Back
Top Bottom