When does hurricane season start? Adrian's ahead of the game!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• Propane tanks and king cooker burner
  • Wood burning grill for all those downed trees
  • Wet weather rain gear (poncho, boots, hat)
  • medical supplies
  • canned food a plenty
  • mucho rice
  • Mega pack of TP
  • Lots of Coffee
  • plastic sheeting in rolls
  • blue tarps
  • lots of rope
  • Laterns and glo sticks
  • coleman stove for cooking indoors (yeah i know.. fumes.. whatever..)
  • Small disposable oil 50 hr burners from illuminations
  • Five gallon jugs for water
  • community pool with clean water for toilet flushing
  • More Guns and Ammo than I care to post online
  • Need to buy (small generator and window shaker A/C) I swore I'd never wuss out but last year I was sleeping during the day at 88 ~ 94 degrees!

hurricane schmurricane

i have my swiss army knife, my wife, seven cats, and three cases of beer

bring it on

one thing to remember: take a look around your place and see if any limbs
may need trimming. better now than on top of your roof or garage

Ya'll are more than welcome to come up this way if you need to. We could go jump in a quarry or lake somewhere and do some diving while you all weather the storm. I hope you don't have to though, it would be nice to see FL not get hit with a hurricane for once.

Matt

Gasoline, lots of gasoline, to get out of the state when the pumps run dry and to run the generator when I come back. Plastic boat tanks work good.

Hurricane supplies tax-free from June 1-12.

Hurricane season is, sadly, coming soon, and it's time to get prepared for any possible storms.

To assist Florida residents in preparing their supplies, sales of hurricane supplies will be tax-exempt from June 1 through 12.

The following items will be eligible for tax-free purchase:

Any portable self-powered light source selling for $20 or less.
Any portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weatherband radio selling for $50 or less.
Any tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting selling for $50 or less.
Any self-contained first-aid kit selling for $30 or less.
Any ground anchor system or tie-down kit selling for $50 or less.
Any gas or diesel fuel tank selling for $25 or less.
Any package of AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6-volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries, selling for $30 or less.
Any nonelectric food storage cooler selling for $30 or less.
Any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage selling for $750 or less.

You know, the hurricanes don't bother me so much---I'm happy that I thought ahead enougth to have bought a condo made of cement on all six sides (this includes ceilings and floors)......honestly, if they chase away some people who don't like it here to begin with, good riddance. I'll take a storm that can be planned and prepared for over ice, snow, earthquakes and floods/mudslides any day of the week.
Unfortunately, it's the reefs and other things that get irreparably damaged that is so sad. I just saw what it's like in St. Maarten 10 years after their "big one" and it was very sad to see the rubble and know that's what our reefs will look like....even if we don't get hit again.

Corigan:
Ya'll are more than welcome to come up this way if you need to. We could go jump in a quarry or lake somewhere and do some diving while you all weather the storm. I hope you don't have to though, it would be nice to see FL not get hit with a hurricane for once.
Matt

You can come out our way too. Earthquake season is only from Jan 1 through Dec 31st. The big difference is that the may happen, whereas hurricanes will happen. I wish you guys would fix that as I would really like to dive Florida....

edit: I guess I missed Krista's post. You can prepare for Earthquakes, you just get surprised by em when they happen....and for the most part, they last 10-30 seconds and then its all over...literally ALL OVER the ground, the floors, the streets, the bridges.

Otter:
You can come out our way too. Earthquake season is only from Jan 1 through Dec 31st. The big difference is that the may happen, whereas hurricanes will happen. I wish you guys would fix that as I would really like to dive Florida....

edit: I guess I missed Krista's post. You can prepare for Earthquakes, you just get surprised by em when they happen....and for the most part, they last 10-30 seconds and then its all over...literally ALL OVER the ground, the floors, the streets, the bridges.
Hurricanes are more news friendly. Days of build up as they track them from west Africa across the Atlantic. Reality TV at it's best (well for the rest of us) :)

BTW, there may be closer scrutinty of FEMA damage claims this year, so there might be more needs to document loses. Just a heads up.
-----------------
"The Federal Emergency Management Agency gave more than $31 million to thousands of Floridians who may not have qualified for any disaster aid after Hurricane Frances, one of several findings of a federal audit that said the aid system was vulnerable to fraud.

The finding, released to a Senate committee Wednesday, said the Federal Emergency Management Agency granted requests for aid in Miami-Dade County on verbal assurances, without proof of damage like repair receipts or proof of ownership.

"It was a pay first, ask questions later approach," said Sen. Susan Collins R-Maine, chairwoman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee."
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2005/05/18/national/w080901D54.DTL

I just really don't think I can do this again...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom