When does hurricane season start? Adrian's ahead of the game!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee, we don't get any of those up here :) .

(As I keep in mind a person from Florida that would tell me about how warm it was in the dead of winter up here. :) )

Just to get you really in the mood NOAA's 2005 prediction - its going to be busy!

Did you know it was hurricane preparedness week?

If we have another season like last year or, God forbid, even worse, what do you think the impact will be on the local dive shops?

Personally, I can't see the average family owned dive shop making it through another season like last year, which would be bad...

I was in Home Depot this morning picking up a few things, and they had plenty of plywood, batteries, generators, etc...If you want to get ready early, you can avoid the last minute rush!!!! We still have all the stuff from last year, so we are in good shape.

Scott

ScottZeagle:
If we have another season like last year or, God forbid, even worse, what do you think the impact will be on the local dive shops?

Personally, I can't see the average family owned dive shop making it through another season like last year, which would be bad...
You are so right... between hurricanes and Diver's Direct now in town (Davie) they have their problems. Diver's Direct Online catalog offers even deeper discounts than in-store, so THEY'RE even pressured.

Maybe it's the kind of business you do out of love and not for profit.

To cope with hurricane season, I'm diversifying my activities... taking up racquetball again!!!

ScottZeagle:

I was in Home Depot this morning picking up a few things, and they had plenty of plywood, batteries, generators, etc...If you want to get ready early, you can avoid the last minute rush!!!! We still have all the stuff from last year, so we are in good shape.

Scott
I heard a prediction of 8 hurricanes the other day, if you check the above posted noaa link I think they're saying 7-9.

"NOAA's prediction for the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season is for 12 to15 tropical storms, with seven to nine becoming hurricanes, of which three to five could become major hurricanes," said retired Navy Vice Adm.

Say, do you QA your stuff for hurricane conditions? :wink:

MoonWrasse:
Say, do you QA your stuff for hurricane conditions? :wink:

We have adopted our own version of the DIR theory for hurricane conditions, however, I am not allowed to publicly expand on that answer for poiltical reasons.

:eyebrow:

Don't we have a sales tax free week to buy hurricane supplies? Anyone know when that starts?

simbrooks:
Current forecasts are showing it as only a depression over the Caribbean, but even so it doesnt seem like we have had much of a winter break between the last storms and now. Depressions can still be rather wet - just what we need with the recent flooding i guess, keep the ground nice and saturated before the real storms come in!

I can see how this would be a problem for you in your business. Working the dirt get really messy when there is lots of rain.
When I was doing the FabricForm concrete we had lots of jobs washed out.
It is also tought to meet specs on the soil and grade in the wet.

With any luck I will be gone before the real fun gets here. :wink:

Maya:
Don't we have a sales tax free week to buy hurricane supplies? Anyone know when that starts?
I heard they were thinking of doing that for gas IF the price had continued to rise, like last August, but i hadnt heard of this one - like i said, this week is hurricane preparedness week according to the NOAA website, is this linked with some quiet sales tax incentive which we havent been told about? The media is usually all over sales tax breaks and such...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom