When do you use a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting issue... the general rule seems to be:

20 cf if you are not doing deco... 40 if you are...

I've started doing dual gas diving.... which now means 2 pony bottles..one for the high O2 mix and one as emergency air...they just both happen to have 50% in them.

I believe most all experienced divers will say to carry a pony at that those depths especially on wrecks with the threat of entanglment. The margin for error is too slim not to mention the concurrent needs of a dive buddy. As Dr Bill alludes the rule of large numbers will catch up to ya...

I was reading another post that got me thinking about the use of a pony. I dive mostly wrecks off the NC coast with a max depth of 120-130. I dive a single ST120. I have heard alot of people say below 100 they will use a pony. When do you use it? I know doubling up might be preferable, but I am not looking to take that avenue just yet. Do you feel comfortable/safe diving to 120/130 in a recreational (no deco) setting without a pony assuming you are respecting rock bottom?
One of them is the size of your single cylinder.

If you are diving a steel E8-130 pumped to 4550 psi, that is one situation. If you are diving an aluminum 80, thats another.

A second is calculating how much gas you might need in the event that something goes wrong on one of those 130 fsw dives about 3 hours out of Morehead City.

A third is the characteristics of your "dives off the NC coast" - e.g. whether you're diving off a commercial charter boat or not. If you are, the boat is likely anchored to the wreck (e.g. not a live boat). Moreover, you need to be on that upline when the time comes to ascend (currents, shipping lanes 40-70 miles offshore, etc.).

That is a different situation from one where you can basically ascend from any point, at any time you wish. You need to return to a specific location before beginning your ascent.

Many divers who absolutely must return to a known location before ascending will dive thirds, or some other conservative gas plan that builds in a contingency to respond to unplanned events. The problem becomes that, at depths of 120'-130' 70 miles offshore, there is insufficient volume in an aluminum 80 to safely plan even NDL dives. Once you back out 'rock bottom', there isn't enough gas left to do the dive.

(If you're using aluminum 80s) you basically have two options to boost available volume; go with doubles or sling another tank. Most guys would go with doubles. But you don't want to go that route yet. So at the moment you're looking at sling tanks.

Given the depths you're diving to, slinging an 80 would not be unheard of, and it gives you a 2nd 80 when the time comes to double them up. Example - do the first (deeper) dive using your sling tank as a stage. Breath from the slung 80 first, then switch to backgas as needed. If you don't use backgas, then that tank is available for the 2nd (shallower) dive of the day. If you don't want to sling an 80, fine, sling a 40 or even a 63. You can use it when you get into deco diving with a deco mix.

I suggest you read Bob's sticky on gas management planning. Its a good place to start. Bottom line is that diving to 130' on a single aluminum 80 is unwise. Your margins for error are nonexistent, and 70 miles offshore is not the place to be living life on the edge. If those are the dives you're doing, then first work on doing the math that tells you how much gas you're going to need - THEN worry about how you're going to carry it. Starting by considering different tanks before you know what amount of gas you need to carry is sort of putting the cart before the horse.

Best,

Doc

Luxfer 40cf which I use in a stage bottle mount. I also have used a 13cf in the past, but found unobtrusive mounting to be a problem.

MY_little_pony.jpg

I used to dive with a 13 cu ft... not enough. Now dive with a 19 cu ft and wish I had a 30 cu ft but I'm not doing the deep dives I used when my main tank was a 120 cu ft.

Curious, what do people use, I have been looking at 40 and 45 cu ft ponies, trying to figure out weighting etc. Luxfer v catalina.
Luxfer....if you do get a catalina make sure it's not painted yellow. Horrible results. I use a 19....with my SCR my calcs are that it works. If you have a higher SCR and are regularly diving very deep (long deco if you bust) repetitive dives, might want more.

And I like Doc Intrepid's answer....consider everything and why you have a pony. Mine is for the final OS! Dive is over, time to go home.

I suggest you read Bob's sticky on gas management planning. Its a good place to start. Bottom line is that diving to 130' on a single aluminum 80 is unwise. Your margins for error are nonexistent, and 70 miles offshore is not the place to be living life on the edge. If those are the dives you're doing, then first work on doing the math that tells you how much gas you're going to need - THEN worry about how you're going to carry it. Starting by considering different tanks before you know what amount of gas you need to carry is sort of putting the cart before the horse.

Best,

Doc

Where is that sticky located? I would like to read it.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom