When do you call a dive trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They rolled in 4fters and had a good dive.
I was just stressed beyond the point of having fun.
Probably could have still made good decisions and guilt never prevents me from calling a dive.
My guilt came from leaving my buddy this is like the literal first time I have bagged a dive last minute!
Just not like me but this situation was a bit new in its shape and form.
I will plan differently in the future to make sure this will not happen again!

Weather, sickness, things out of immediate control can end dives but you can work most of it to your favor.
I have called cave dives when the plan was to aggressive for my gas rules conservatism.
I have called wreck dives when I have not felt up to the depth or deco.
This was the first trip I actually bagged out of.
My buddy is awesome and we have spoken things are good this trip was just not for me.

Good to hear that others have struggled with this as well.
Bottom line no dive with worth it if you are not feeling it or know you are not prepared correctly!
Safety, conservatism, mentally prepared, we all must accept the responsibility of the dive plan.
When I can't I am out!
I become a liability to the team at this point and not acceptable in my book!

Safe diving all,

CamG

They rolled in 4fters and had a good dive.
I was just stressed beyond the point of having fun.
Probably could have still made good decisions and guilt never prevents me from calling a dive.
My guilt came from leaving my buddy this is like the literal first time I have bagged a dive last minute!
Just not like me but this situation was a bit new in its shape and form.
I will plan differently in the future to make sure this will not happen again!

Weather, sickness, things out of immediate control can end dives but you can work most of it to your favor.
I have called cave dives when the plan was to aggressive for my gas rules conservatism.
I have called wreck dives when I have not felt up to the depth or deco.
This was the first trip I actually bagged out of.
My buddy is awesome and we have spoken things are good this trip was just not for me.

Good to hear that others have struggled with this as well.
Bottom line no dive with worth it if you are not feeling it or know you are not prepared correctly!
Safety, conservatism, mentally prepared, we all must accept the responsibility of the dive plan.
When I can't I am out!
I become a liability to the team at this point and not acceptable in my book!

Safe diving all,

CamG

You know... a lot of these problems (and the ones you mentioned earlier) would be solved if you just dove solo and used air....:D

Yeah that is one way to take care of it,
I have been diving more air lately and working with depth / deco.
Still plan most every dive as a solo but with a buddy 99% of the time.

CamG

No bad reasons to call a dive, but it seems if you had been the one making the plans you could have avoided the stress. Type "A" people generally do better if they're controlling the details - maybe a lesson to take away for future trips? The gas problem, as you noted, isn't probably a real problem. On its own 28% is 1.55 @ 150 feet, you could have easily bled off gas and topped with air to dilute it a bit - though on this dive, I don't see the point in nitrox at all for the trouble of mixing it and the minimal benefit of 3-4% increase in FO2, if you're not going to dive mix to that depth, just dive air.. I don't think feeling guilty is as productive as sorting out root cause and addressing it. While I'd not berate a buddy for calling a trip, I might think twice about inviting him in the future if it became a theme.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom