Question When do we speak of technical diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question about technical diving.
When do you start talking about technical diving?
I come to the question because I am currently making the SSI Deco Diver. After completion, you are allowed to do dives with up to 15 minutes deco stops. Is this already technical diving?

Does anyone know about the course, if so, what do you think of it?

No this is not technical diving. Many other agencies such as BSAC and CMAS the courses are Deco planned diving. It was called sports diving but not technical diving when I started deco diving in 1986.
Also it's not limited to 15 minutes of deco time.
You might want to consider the TDI ANDP course for further training.
Also you can do DECO dives at 20m depth so it's not about depth. In the 80's before nitrox we would bring extra tanks along. If doing a wreck dive tanks were places at points the divers could get to them and also on the boat anchor line tans were hooked on the line for use if required.

Of course you can just sling another AL80 and bring it along lol
ERNESTO PONY BOTTLE.JPG

To me it's simple. It's considered a tech dive if you
a. have a ceiling above your head, physical or virtual or
b. dive beyond the recreational depth limit of 40 meters / 130 feet.
Some agencies the limit is 50m or 60m not 40m.

Where did the mythical 40m come from? lol

No this is not technical diving. Many other agencies such as BSAC and CMAS the courses are Deco planned diving. It was called sports diving but not technical diving when I started deco diving in 1986.
Also it's not limited to 15 minutes of deco time.
You might want to consider the TDI ANDP course for further training.
Also you can do DECO dives at 20m depth so it's not about depth. In the 80's before nitrox we would bring extra tanks along. If doing a wreck dive tanks were places at points the divers could get to them and also on the boat anchor line tans were hooked on the line for use if required.

Of course you can just sling another AL80 and bring it along lol

That's your personal opinion though, and how things were done 40 years ago has little relevance today.
General consensus is that dives requiring decompression is in technical territory no matter what you or others were taught half a lifetime ago.

Some agencies the limit is 50m or 60m not 40m.

Where did the mythical 40m come from? lol
40m/132ft is where:
  • decompression becomes a requirement as NDLs are so short. PADI’s RDP shows 9 minutes and a bunch of asterisks.
  • Gas consumption can easily empty a single tank
  • Off your face with narcosis requiring more skills and experience
  • Helium would be recommended
  • An uncontrolled ascent from that depth would probably result in injury

Whilst an arbitrary depth, 40m is a reasonable limit in today's risk-averse world where health and safety considerations are paramount AND technical diving techniques make it safe —mixed gasses, gas volumes, redundant kit, accelerated decompression, CCR, etc.

40m/132ft is where:
  • decompression becomes a requirement as NDLs are so short. PADI’s RDP shows 9 minutes and a bunch of asterisks.
  • Gas consumption can easily empty a single tank
  • Off your face with narcosis requiring more skills and experience
  • Helium would be recommended
  • An uncontrolled ascent from that depth would probably result in injury

Whilst an arbitrary depth, 40m is a reasonable limit in today's risk-averse world where health and safety considerations are paramount AND technical diving techniques make it safe —mixed gasses, gas volumes, redundant kit, accelerated decompression, CCR, etc.
It’s funny on a no deco dive to 130 feet I use less air than a shallower dive. It’s a common misconception about all the air you need since the time becomes the constraint.

Please explain how this is possible?
:poke:
I think he's saying since he doesn't stay at depth as long, he uses less gas than a shallower, longer dive.
but physics prove that statement wrong, haha. I think at that depth you'd use more gas than a shallower dive regardless of time spent there.

When do we speak about it, usually in the middle of the night on Scubaboard. That, or in a scuba bar to impress chicks.
I usually do it to get rid of guys...
Note to self: remember to pack away the scooter, rebreather, stages, drysuit and camera from the bathroom if bringing home dates that "actively vacationdives in a shorty"...

I think he's saying since he doesn't stay at depth as long, he uses less gas than a shallower, longer dive.
but physics prove that statement wrong, haha. I think at that depth you'd use more gas than a shallower dive regardless of time spent there.
You should take a few moments and do some calculations for yourself. I know it seems that people often equate deep dives with requiring a lot of air, but you might be surprised.

It can also depend upon what assumptions you make for emergency reserves and your buddy’s air consumption rate , but do a calculation and show us your results. Say for a dive to 60 versus 130 or 40 versus 80 feet.

When you say physics proves my statement is incorrect, you might be so polite as to demonstrate that with some math or physics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom