Whats your trick to keep the weight Belt from slipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gudu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,
Just got a few dives and all in a 7 mill wetsuit becouse of the brutally cold water. I use a weight integrated BCD and also a 40lbs weightbelt.
Problem is my body wants to slip out of the weight Belt which I already cinch down like on a Packhorse.

Is there a better way to keep the Belt from slipping ---------- Do you have a trick which could work for me.

Thanks in advance for all constructive advise!

1) Re-tighten once you are horizontal in the water, before descent, maybe even at depth.

1) Get a weight harness.

Pete

Since you are using 40lbs on a belt PLUS that in your integrated BCD, I am guessing you are fairly stout. The best solution is a weight harness without a doubt. If you can't locate one, you should tighten your belt at depth. The pressure at depth, even just 8 or 10 meters, compresses the wet suit and you, making the belt loose. Be sure you have a buddy close by and are horizontal, face down when tightening the belt so you do not lose it. The last tip I have is " don't sag." That is, be sure the belt is above your pelvic bones in front, and higher than the most protruding part of you buttocks in back. I find lean teenage males "sagging" their belts and have to correct them all the time.
DivmasterDennis

I use a spring loaded buckle and re-tighten my belt when I get to the bottom. You might think about spradingthat wieght around so its not all on your belt.

Weight integrated BC. No more belt problems.

---------- Post Merged at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:06 PM ----------

40 lbs ??? sounds like a lot of weight. you might do formal weight check to see if you actually need that much weight and if not that would lighten your belt.

I also dive 7 mm cold water but use 20 lbs. but likely different body habitus. still, that seems like awful lot of lead.

DUI makes a weight harness that has quick releases, DGE makes one that is made to have the Quick-Release pockets added. Option three is to make your own web harness to put QR pockets on. Its all driven by your budget or comfort.

Lastly, you may want to look at a different BC.... okay, I'll say it - a BP/W - where a SS plate and a weight plates and pouches can be of a benefit to you, if in fact you do need that much weight. Also, are you diving steel tanks?

If you truly need 40lbs (or even close) then a weight harness is the most practical and reliable solution.

Integrated weights solve the slipping belt, but now you have one hefty setup (80lbs or so) and some of the weight pouched on the market are not 100% reliable. Also having a very buoyant wetsuit counter balanced by a very heavy rig makes in water remove and replacement (for entanglement) difficult. If you won't do a harness, spread it around a bit to make life easier. Definitely do a weight check, 40lbs is way up on the far end of the scale.

I have moved from a weight harness to a steel backplate and steel tanks. dive a drysuit but am down to less than 20 lbs lead. Have a harness I don't use anymore if you want to try one. PM me.

Back
Top Bottom