Whats your trick to keep the weight Belt from slipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? I find it comfortable, I don't have issues with slipping, it is adjustable for waist and amount of weight used, it is affordable compared to some other types of belt setups, it is easy to pack in a gear box/bag for transport, it has a good solid plastic buckle that will not rust or corrode. It may not be for everyone but that does not mean it is not useable or not worth using.

If your profile is correct and you have less than 24 dives, I have no doubt that you have no yet had a failure with a plastic buckle. However, some people do 20 dives in a week... ask them what they think of the typical plastic buckle... BTW, if you have never tried a rubber belt, you will be surprised at how much better it is..

I'm diving a drysuit, 6'3", 260lb, and I only have 36lb (AL80 tank, 28 with a steel 120). I am still over weighted a little bit. You are severely overweighted even with a wetsuit that dosnt fit will. Do a weight check.

That said, I have 22lb on my weight belt with a webbing harness due to having no hips with 14lb in my pockets. I just got a plain plastic buckle weight harness and it works fine. Thinking of putting on a crotch strap to keep it from riding up though.

Why? I find it comfortable, I don't have issues with slipping, it is adjustable for waist and amount of weight used, it is affordable compared to some other types of belt setups, it is easy to pack in a gear box/bag for transport, it has a good solid plastic buckle that will not rust or corrode. It may not be for everyone but that does not mean it is not useable or not worth using.

Pardon my hyperbole! Posturing over the optimization of your gear is a favorite pastime here, guilty as charged. I have to allow that someone might prefer nylon, I just see a clear difference in favor of rubber. Nylon ALWAYS slips, for me, has no give for comfort, and rubber is only slightly more expensive, though also heavier for travel. I've never had a nylon buckle fail, but I expect metal to be even better, and I find that they provide a more positive tactile feedback when I'm closing or checking them by feel.

If your profile is correct and you have less than 24 dives, I have no doubt that you have no yet had a failure with a plastic buckle. However, some people do 20 dives in a week... ask them what they think of the typical plastic buckle... BTW, if you have never tried a rubber belt, you will be surprised at how much better it is..

You are absolutely correct in that my dive tally is very limited at this point. It also true that I have not had a failure as of yet. I am just responding on my experience with the belt I have used is all. If I came off as an expert that was not my intent. Just adding my thoughts is all. If my buckle does fail then I will replace it with a SS buckle. Rest assured, I will keep a close eye on it to avoid a failure at the wrong time. As for trying a rubber belt, I just might have to do that. Thanks.

Pardon my hyperbole! Posturing over the optimization of your gear is a favorite pastime here, guilty as charged. I have to allow that someone might prefer nylon, I just see a clear difference in favor of rubber. Nylon ALWAYS slips, for me, has no give for comfort, and rubber is only slightly more expensive, though also heavier for travel. I've never had a nylon buckle fail, but I expect metal to be even better, and I find that they provide a more positive tactile feedback when I'm closing or checking them by feel.

LOL...I had to look up "hyperbole" and you know...I still have no clue what it means. If I came across as anything other than answering your question I apologize. I am definitely not an expert, I just know that I have been using my nylon and have had no issues with it at all. I think I should have added a smiley, that might have made my reply not sound so snappy. Sorry about that.

Have a great day all!!!
:coffee:

P.S.: I wish I could dive 20 times a week...
:banana:

You are absolutely correct in that my dive tally is very limited at this point. It also true that I have not had a failure as of yet. I am just responding on my experience with the belt I have used is all. If I came off as an expert that was not my intent. Just adding my thoughts is all. If my buckle does fail then I will replace it with a SS buckle. Rest assured, I will keep a close eye on it to avoid a failure at the wrong time. As for trying a rubber belt, I just might have to do that. Thanks.

LOL...I had to look up "hyperbole" and you know...I still have no clue what it means. If I came across as anything other than answering your question I apologize. I am definitely not an expert, I just know that I have been using my nylon and have had no issues with it at all. I think I should have added a smiley, that might have made my reply not sound so snappy. Sorry about that.
hey, no offense was taken. I was just trying to say that I had engaged in some rhetorical flourish - which could have been taken more harshly than intended - as I figured you had.

Have a great day all!!!
:coffee:

P.S.: I wish I could dive 20 times a week...
:banana:
Yeah, I was just rueing the fact i haven't been diving since March, and dreaming how much I would dive if I lived closer to warm water. One day soon ...

hey, no offense was taken. I was just trying to say that I had engaged in some rhetorical flourish - which could have been taken more harshly than intended - as I figured you had.

Thanks...I didn't intend for my post to sound harsh. I did think it was a bit harsh but that would just be me misunderstanding your post is all. No harm, no foul...:cool2:

Yeah, I was just rueing the fact i haven't been diving since March, and dreaming how much I would dive if I lived closer to warm water. One day soon ...

Why wait for warm water? Cold water dives good to...:cool3:

Why wait for warm water? Cold water dives good to...:cool3:
Yeah, usually doesn't stop me, but it's a several hour drive, and my compressor is down. Mobilization threshhold is a bit higher as the years roll on. Excuses... It does have me plotting to get back to Hawaii this winter.

Back
Top Bottom