What's your "thing?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone posted this on here and it rings true to me: Diving is like a nature hike, but underwater. So I want to see flora and more so, fauna. The best is when I come across a critter I hadn't seen before - makes me feel like Jacques Costeau. This year I saw a ratfish in Puget Sound, a bullseye electric ray near La Paz.

Luckily for me, my most convenient diving is the ocean, with lots of critters (unless the urchins have cleaned the area out, sigh). Still got my eye out for a GPO, a monkeyface eel.

Perhaps a wreck would interest me without flora/fauna, but its best when you get both the wreck and some critters.

Swimming scallops are just SO funny. Brittle stars are the same, but majestic in their tiny weirdness. Each as different from each other as I am from both: there’s so much diversity to life that we don’t notice on the surface!

Also into just taking a meditative pause once in a while. On a deep-ish solo dive, in the dark and cold, with the narcosis definitely happening… I’ll switch off the light, stop breathing or worrying about stuff, and just enjoy the moment for a moment. It’s like one of those sensory deprivation tanks but with a *there-ness* they can’t match.

Perhaps a wreck would interest me without flora/fauna, but its best when you get both the wreck and some critters.

Mussels covering the wreck and maybe some small fish are all you’re going to get on the Great Lakes (except for Superior, no mussels there). The mussels cover a lot of detail, but we’ve got much better viz as a result.

This is a great thread!

For me, love seeing all the creatures on ocean dives as well as just floating on my back and looking up through the kelp forests. That to me, brings such peace and calmness.

My regular dives each week though are all about cleaning up NorCal waterways and collecting treasure. I love finding keys, phones, drones, watches, glasses, paddles and any interesting thing. I get more out of these low vis, cold dives as far as satisfaction goes, than I do in the ocean. Keeping our sacred waters healthy, free of trash and thriving is my thing. Each dive I thank the water for allowing me to enter and that I am sorry for all those who can't seem to take their waste out. Weird and hippy, yes. But again, its my thing. Water is life and keeping it free of garbage is something we all should be striving to do as we blow our bubbles.

Difficult question.

I simply like to be underwater.
I dive mainly in lakes, cold and dark. I love them.
I like the huge stone walls, that go down very deep, the fishes that lay on the stones, without moving (especially if you are on CCR).
I like the deco at 6m with some sunlight when you come up from the dark deep.

It does not matter whether it is a deco dive with my CCR or a shallow one in OC. All the times I enjoy every moment, from the preparation, till the end, when it‘s time to pack your wet stuff in the car.

Mussels covering the wreck and maybe some small fish are all you’re going to get on the Great Lakes (except for Superior, no mussels there). The mussels cover a lot of detail, but we’ve got much better viz as a result.

Do they get big enough to eat?:rofl3:

I love that I'm flying. Seriously. Being able to move at will in three dimensions under my own power is so cool. As a kid I spent countless hours playing underwater, but I couldn't stay more than a minute or two.

My favorite version of this is a fast drift dive where I can zoom along just off a reef using my hands and fins to adjust for elevation changes and incoming coral heads. It's what I imagine low terrain military flying is like, except without the millions in training and tens of millions in aircraft costs.

Wrecks, and 3D movement.
I wish that at one point I'd dive with Orcas tho.

If I get the chance to be in clear water, I just really take in the land scape and the look-at-how-far-I-can-see feeling. I'm happy staring at barren sand dunes or just big rooms in caves. I could really care less about that tiny super rare fish the DM is trying to point out. Probably because most of my diving is in poor visibility, have to soak it up when I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom