What's your "thing?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am primarily a salt water diver up here in the PNW...... and as a non vegetarian, I like to hunt for my seafood. But I will say that I LOVE some of the fresh water lakes up here diving for Crawdads.... Love those little fresh water lobsters. Do they have them in the great Lakes?
Louisiana. Atchafalaya River Basin among pretty much anywhere else. And they're in season right now!

Bon temps !!!
OMMOHY

Baby squid are really cool
Cuttlefish too.

OI000007.jpg

Photo by Kevin Metz, but I was on the dive.

If you do dive Great Lakes wrecks, please read up on the wrecks you’ll be diving before diving them. Knowing the history really adds to your dive. IMO, the wrecks are wasted on people who can’t be bothered to do any research beforehand.
You're right there! I admit, I was too lazy to do basic research in the early days and a lot of the old wrecks I saw left me cold. Not because they were uninspiring, more that I hadn't bothered to find out more about them. A simple Google search can transform a lump of twisted, rusty metal into something quite special.

Great question, OP. Complex for some to answer... I was drawn to diving later in life than I would have liked. There are so many reasons to love it...

It is therapeutic and cathartic. This runs deep with me.

Exploratory. Educational and mind-opening... Raising your empathy for other humans, animals, and the earth.

It can be as intellectual as you make it. Diving requires attention to detail, planning, your interaction with mechanical and (sometimes digital) technology, study of physics and physiology, and a certain amount of danger must be accepted for dives beyond maybe 30 or 40ft (10-13m). All of that only increases the farther down the rabbit hole you go... And I will go as far as I possibly can.

Also, for me, diving in general is MY thing... No one in my family does it and I love that. In fact, they are all scared of it. I love that even more. I can get away from everyone and everything and let the water envelope me.

I liked diving when I first found it. But I started to love it when I discovered what "tech" diving is. That's right up my alley. I'm not there yet, but I can't wait to cave dive (primarily). I really love seeing wildlife and reefs, but I need to be challenged. I'm going into the earth's black holes.

I do also want to see the great wrecks before they fade away... U869, the Doria, Truk, Scapa Flow, and @Marie13 and @Tracy 's Great Lakes wrecks (they'll be there for awhile), etc.

So for me, cave and tech wreck diving is what I dream about (literally).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom