Whats your favourite things to look for while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always focus on the samll things.
Squid. Especially the teeny ones at night. I have a talent for spotting them.

Also pelagic tunicates and other squiggly things that live in the water column.

Nudis fascinate me, too.

It's funny that when you sort of shift your focus, and you see a whole other world. :)

I'm usually looking for lobsters, scallops, or flounder, but I get the most enjoyment out of any encounter with something new.

I keep an eye on my buddy, she is probably one of the few that look good in a dry suit....

I like to see Pacific spiny lumpsuckers, Stubby squid, grunt sculpins, ratfish, dogfish/mudshark, cloud sponges, Any thing new, And really erratic "landscapes"
I also like finding treasure.

Tiny stuff. Little itty bitty nudi's, lined chiton's, little tunicates, sponges, tiny shrimp, all the cool worms (x-mas tree, terebellid), stuff that others miss. It is really cool to come up from a dive and have your buddy be amazed at all the little stuff you pointed out to them. The bad of it is that I'd miss a GW if it was like 4' away from me :D

I firmly believe that studying the ID books after each dive makes you a better "spotter". Though I am a new diver, I have fairly good eyes, and attribute that to years of reading about marine critters, looking at the ID books and keeping marine aquariums for several years. Oh, going SLOW helps too :)

Mark

I really like finding octos and wolf eels. The thing I am always looking for is a candy striped shrimp.

Nalidixic:
Just curious what everyone else out there likes to find while diving. Me personally, I love the cloud sponges and chimeny sponges. Always lots of good stuff to see inside those and they look so dang cool :) Anyways, whats your favorite thing and how come?

Nalidixic

... the dive boat?

(just kiddin')

Jim

I'm just like a child in a candy store. I like it all. Being near sited doesn't help. Hope to get some contact lens so I can see better.

I like scenery. Dramatic, etheral scenery. Sucker for scenery. Great coral heads, and just floating weightlessly in the last rays of the sun coming over the edge of the reef and reflecting off huge schools of jelly fish or fusiliers; The odd shark or barracuda passing by a bit further out and far, far below the sloping bottom trailing off into the deep blue. Don't wanna look at any one thing but just feel my mind dissolve and disappear into that all-encompassing blueness ...

Then of course the dry snarl of a coffee machine reminds me I'm in my office wearing clothes.

Damn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom