What's your favorite dive related movie??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just watched The Deep. It's a pretty good movie and it was interesting to see how different scuba gear was in the late 70's (no BCD!). The only thing I didn't like was Jacqueline Bisset playing with puffed porcupine fish in the opening credits. It was a sad way to start the movie and made me wonder about how many takes they did on that shot and if the porcupine fish suffered because of it. Otherwise, good movie with lots of diving.

The new movie "Fools Gold" is quite a fun movie.

I saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a comedic version of Into The Blue, except that I enjoyed it a lot more than ITB. The waters were pristine. I would have thought it had been shot in the Caribbean, but it was done in Australia, at the Great Barrier Reef.

:thumb:

Destination Inner Space (1966) aka Terror from the Deep

I have the wetsub from "Destination Inner Space" aka "Terror of the Deep".

Below, several pics of my 1966 "Destination Inner Space" sci fi movie wet sub as it looked when I got it a few years ago. Someone through the years had installed a quick release cable attachment to the nose for towing the sub with a boat. Pull a ring on the dash and it releases like a glider tow cable releases. Originally the sub had two water shields one for the front and one for the rear. I was wondering what an old squashed fitting was doing on the cross piece between the two compartments, then when I saw the movie, I could tell it was the front attachment for the rear plexi watershield. That water shield was gone along with the original motor when I got it. The 75 year old retiring diver I bought it from that told me it was in the movie, also told me he used it being towed by a boat for lobstering in the keys. It has rudder pedals like an airplane for controlling the rudder. Rudder was also added sometime in the years because in the movie it didn't have a rudder but used a very small submersible electric motor that looks like it's battery was housed in what looks like a champagne cooler shoved over the tail of the sub. This was not on the sub when I got it. It has an aircraft style joystick for controlling the dive planes. I fabricated a motor mount made from an old stop sign and attached a 74 lb thrust big minkota to it. Can't wait to try it out. Runs full speed on 24 volts, half speed on 12 volts and can run in reverse. Got to make a waterproofed, oil equalized battery box to house two batteries, also a solenoid in a separate waterproof container to preclude any hydrogen explosion from sparks in the battery box, and make an underwater switch, finish the removable canopy, replace the old yellowed plexi water shield and paint her. Already rebuilt the dive plane pivots.
69d5.jpg

e12d.jpg

Below, working on fabricating a canopy for it.
100_0061.jpg

100_0062.jpg

Below, rear view of minkota motor mount made from an old stop sign. Stainless nuts and bolts, sub upside down.
wetsubXmotorXmountX100001.JPG

Below, two side views of motor mount and motor.
wetsubXmotorXmountX70001.JPG

wetsubXmotorXmountX90001.JPG

Compare this below straight on view of my sub from a few years ago when I got it, to the one after this of when it was new in 1966 being used in the sci fi movie "Destination Inner Space".

54d5.jpg

6ae6.jpg

Some more pics of my sub in the movie.

77bf.jpg

ec31.jpg

f8ca.jpg

Neat!

it wouldhave to be ....men of honor.... since i to am xnavy..

into the blue. and not just because of jessica alba. i also love the bahamas :wink:

The Dive (1989)

An intense adventure about two underwater experts who go to the ocean depths in a bell to repair a broken oil pipeline. They face escalating danger when their air supply runs low and they face the sea alone. Bjorn Sundquist and Michael Kitchen star.

If you know a little about commercial diving it is tramatic and scary. If you are a commercial diver it is an absolute riot :rofl3:

Blue Water, White Death (1971).

Btw, does the submersible Lotus Esprit from The Spy Who Loved Me count as "scuba related" ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom