What's your favorite dive related movie??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Abyss is actually a great modern remake of the 1950's sci-fi classic The Day the Earth Stood Still. Unless you see the extended version of The Abyss, you'll never make the connection between the two movies.

... really?? I /love/ "The Day the Earth Stood Still." I had no idea about the connection, though. Hmm. I haven't seen "The Abyss" in years, though. Might merit renting it again sometime soon!

The Abyss is great...although I must say that Into the Blue with Jessica Alba in a bikini is quite enticing as well

The Abyss. Men of Honor

Navy SEALS (MGM/ORION) 1991. Some interesting moves, including exit from a sub and a HALO jump with full Draegar LAR kit into the water. Otherwise I'll also settle for Jacqueline Bisset followed by Jessica Alba. Men of Honor is above all a fitting tribute to Carl Brashear.

... really?? I /love/ "The Day the Earth Stood Still." I had no idea about the connection, though. Hmm. I haven't seen "The Abyss" in years, though. Might merit renting it again sometime soon!

I had no idea either. Like you I had not seen The Abyss in years. I enjoyed the movie but the ending of the theatrical release just didn't make any flippin' sense. It annoyed me so much I passed on watching it whenever it came on cable.

Then on this board somewhere I read about the extended release version and mention of the "new ending." Well, it's not really a "new" ending. The extended version adds little to the body of the film. The real value is the addition of the director's original ending that ended up on the cutting room floor. Suddenly it ALL made sense and the connection to the old film was unquestionably obvious. The entire modern movie is definitely a well done update and now one of my favorites.

Cousteau's World Without Sun was an Oscar winner in 1965. I saw it as a grade school kid, and found it interesting. It is hard to find now, and I got it on eBay as some sort of copy.

Scenes in the movie have Capt. Jaques lighting a cigarette and having wine in an oxygen-rich underwater habitat. Right after diving. Maybe that's an image that does not match his legacy.

My avatar says it all. I do like (The Deep) though.

The life aquatic
"can you hear the Jack whales singing ?"

Back
Top Bottom