What's your dream itinerary from Bangkok to Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterwabbit

Reaction score
Hello Scubaboard!

I will be backpacking and diving from Bangkok to Bali from mid-August to November. So far, the only definite destinations I have planned are Koh tao, Phuket, Perhentians, and Bali. If this was your vacation, what stops would you make? And who would you dive with?

Also, any recommendations on the best way to hop from one place to another would be greatly appreciated.

good plan so far, but many leave out Phuket and go straight to Krabi.

Make sure you go from Penang to northern Sumatra and around the top, there are some very cool little places around there, and you dont miss anything on the mainland really untill you get to Singapore.

m2c

If you're going to the Perhentians (dive w/ Turtle Bay Divers) , also go to Redang (dive w/ Coral Redang). It's a little more expensive (just a little) but the diving is also a better. Sipidan (Dive w/ Borneo Divers)beats the hell out of all those sites bar none. Do not miss it. Also, I hear Layang Layang (dunno who to dive with) is pretty good too but haven't made it there yet.

As for getting around, buses in SEA are good (Malaysia and T-land that is) and but I like trains better. You can get extremely cheap flights in the region (especial within malaysia) with Air Asia.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of dive sites in Indonesia that I haven't visited. Diving in Bali is great though. I'm assuming you'll be renting if you're backpacking. Can't remember who I dived with there but watch out for their rental equipment. I had a ver bad experience and the conditions there can be quite advanced depending on the site and the time of the month.

Hope that helps.

Ok... been working in Koh Tao for a year, good diving, definately on the list. Now in which Phuket has some good diving, but the best is on trips to the Similan Islands, which has dive sites listed in the top 100 in the world. Koh Phi Phi also has some pretty nice diving.
Pereinthien Islands are really good fun, with some really really good diving, the divign at Tioman Island is very good.
After that there is Pulah Weh in the north of Sumatra, some of the most amazing diving i have experienced, but the security situation is not the best up there at the moment... a place for the adventurous, as if i wasnt working, i would go back there tommorow!

Have safe travels...

cancun mark:
good plan so far, but many leave out Phuket and go straight to Krabi.

Make sure you go from Penang to northern Sumatra and around the top, there are some very cool little places around there, and you dont miss anything on the mainland really untill you get to Singapore.

m2c

Krabi is OK but the diving is no great shakes. Some of the decent off shore dive sites are much closer to Phuket than Krabi. Krabi is however nearer Hin Deng/Hin Muang. Phi Phi has some good dive sites and the vis is much better. As Ilandeemst says the best diving is in the Similans/Mergui area.

Make sure to include Hin Daeng and Hin Muang to the south of Phuket and Phi Phi or Southwest of Lanta on your list. Absolutely fantastic diving, not as well known as the Similans so a lot quieter but at least of the same class.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!! I will definitely have to make a lot of stops along the way. How do you get to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang from Phuket?
Lonely Planet doesn't say.

I'm also thinking of staying put in one place for my last month to get my divemaster - any recommendations for a solo female? Someplace young and fun in and out of the water, not too pricey and very safe?

And one more thing, if I wanted to pick up some gear [BC and reg] - where's the best place to shop for price and variety? I've been hearing Phuket or Singapore - what do you think?

Any specifics greatly appreciated.

Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are divesites, so you can't stay on the islands. To get there you can take daytrips from Phuket, Phi Phi or Lanta or a liveaboard from Phuket.

I think in general Singapore is cheaper for equipment than Phuket.

The best place to do your divemaster course is in Thailand. The good diving, combined with gr8 social life and night life makes it a great destination to choose, plus the fact you will pay around 25,000 Baht for a divemaster course.
Koh Tao is a popular choice for a divemaster course due to the social & nighlife the comes with it. When you stay a while on a small island, you start to get to know everyone and its a friendly place. On the downside the diving is not that good.... but if u are considering becoming an instructor there will be lots of hands on experience in assisting in courses.
Koh Phi Phi has the same atmosphere as Koh Tao, probably even smaller.. it offers gr8 diving and social scene, although the cost of living is slightly hirer.
Phuket is also a good choice, very cheap living costs... good nightlife... but lacks the sense of community the other islands offer.
I would also suggest that you spend longer than a month on your divemaster as the longer programs give you more experience. If you would like further information regarding your divemaster, please check my in depth section on it:

http://www.white-bluedive.com/padiidc_dm.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom