What's your backup mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minimus (aka Mini) Freedive Mask (Tiny/low volume) Resides in tethered DGX Mask mesh bag, in left pocket:
1685392994056.jpeg

For scale:
1685393047300.jpeg

The Chairman wears one...Have you ever used scuba equipment you absolutely hated!
(And more scale.)
1685393441562.png

The Mako Minimus fits my smaller face pretty well too. I've tried a bunch of masks, and this one fits me the best, and has a very low internal volume (easier to clear). Incidentally, it's also one of the cheapest I've bought as well. I have one with no snorkel, and a second one with a simple Mako snorkel. I don't do dives where a backup mask is required, but the mask fits in a suit pocket with or without a snorkel on it. If I'm freediving I wear the snorkel one, on scuba I prefer the plain one. If I think that the snorkel might be useful for a choppy surface or whatever, I'll wear one and stick the other one in a pocket. Most of the time, the backup mask and the snorkel both stay in my gear bag on the boat/truck.

Some divers like to use a big one as their primary, and a smaller one in their pocket as a backup. I don't think this makes sense for the same reason that I don't think using a crappy second stage for your octo makes sense: if you ever use it, you want it to work at least as well as your primary one. If I really needed a small mask to fit into my pocket, I would find a small mask that I actually like using (like, say, the Mako Minimus), and use it for both the primary and the backup.

smile.JPG

Back up mask??
No, no -- backup mask; there's a distinction . . .

I really had a hard time finding a mask that fit and was comfortable. When I finally found one I bought 4 of them. Two that are tinted and two clear. I usually start the dive wearing the tinted mask with the clear mask in my pocket and will swap underwater if it becomes overcast and dark. As others have stated already, your backup should be the same as your primary mask.

will swap underwater if it becomes overcast and dark

How do you keep the mask in your pocket from fogging up when you switch and wear it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom