What's your backup mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first tech instructor was obsessed with mask loss as a potential problem. It seemed like every dive would include seeing his hand appear in front of my face as my mask went away. I would put on my backup mask, and that would be gone a few seconds later. He really wanted us performing skills blind, so the backup mask loss was just one more step in the process. One time he took both my masks and both my buddy's masks so that we would have to demonstrate that we could complete that deco dive blind--we had to practice a scenario in which something we have never heard of happening anywhere happened four times on one dive. Another time he only took three of our masks (both of mine) and put all but one of our tanks (a deco bottle) out of commission so that we had to do two deco stops (simulated) with me blind while buddy breathing (NOT alternate air).

The net effect was that I saw no point in having a backup mask, since as soon as you lose one, you always lose the other.

BTW, none of those things ever happen in real life.

• At this time in my life, I don't believe I know anyone who carries a backup mask while diving.
BTW, none of those things ever happen in real life.
I keep a backup mask in my side mount pouch.

About a month ago, I did a long surface swim out to a dive and somehow along the way I lost my mask. Pulled out my backup and enjoyed the dive.

The only time I lost a mask was during a backroll entry off my boat. I forgot to place my hand on the back of the strap and the force of the water whipped the strap off my head and before I knew it my mask was gone and sinking down to the bottom somewhere. I put on another mask I had in the boat and went to look for it. The bottom was 130’ deep and dark. It was gone, couldn’t find it anywhere.
I never did that again, and I can say that other than that one incident, I have never lost a mask while actually underwater diving.
I believe that most masks are lost this way (during entry) or while MOF and in the surf zone or some other topside mishap.
We were taught to always pull the mask down around our neck and you’ll never lose a mask over some silly topside mishap. The new method of a bungeed second makes this old rule difficult.
But I still do it out if habit.
I also believe that the tech diver method of wearing it backwards on your head while topside is just as goofy as wearing it on your forehead. It can be lost just as easily.

During a dive on (IIRC) the Algol, two buddy technical diving instructors were ascending on the line doing their deco. One had a diaphragm failure in a deco reg. The size of the bubble pattern on the surface was astonishing. Imagine a 40' cauldron brought to a rolling boil. It was impressive, for the few seconds it lasted.

Anyway, the diver with the failure had no visibility at all due to the bubble explosion, was knocked off balance due to the bubbles to one side reducing buoyancy, and knocked off the buddy's mask trying to recover. Thoroughly disoriented, the diver surfaced, blowing off 10-15 minutes of deco. (The diver got on O2 right away and sat relaxed and guzzling water despite the discomfort of staying in a dry suit on a warm day for over 30 minutes to make sure it was going to be OK before changing and making an understandable beeline for the head.)

The other diver knew how fists made up a foot and completed deco by counting hands up the line and counting down the last two stops, one of the most impressive things I'd ever seen up until then.

I carry a spare mask in my right thigh pocket though I have never needed it on a dive nor needed to hand it off to someone else. There's not much else there anyway, it doesn't take much room, and "do-do occurs." If it occurs in an overhead environment I'd really like to be able to see. One of my instructors noted that you can trap air in your hands to read your gauges. It's pretty easy two-handed but if you're hanging on with one it's much harder.

Call be paranoid but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me...

During a dive on (IIRC) the Algol, two buddy technical diving instructors were ascending on the line doing their deco. One had a diaphragm failure in a deco reg. The size of the bubble pattern on the surface was astonishing. Imagine a 40' cauldron brought to a rolling boil. It was impressive, for the few seconds it lasted.

Anyway, the diver with the failure had no visibility at all due to the bubble explosion, was knocked off balance due to the bubbles to one side reducing buoyancy, and knocked off the buddy's mask trying to recover. Thoroughly disoriented, the diver surfaced, blowing off 10-15 minutes of deco. (The diver got on O2 right away and sat relaxed and guzzling water despite the discomfort of staying in a dry suit on a warm day for over 30 minutes to make sure it was going to be OK before changing and making an understandable beeline for the head.)

The other diver knew how fists made up a foot and completed deco by counting hands up the line and counting down the last two stops, one of the most impressive things I'd ever seen up until then.

I carry a spare mask in my right thigh pocket though I have never needed it on a dive nor needed to hand it off to someone else. There's not much else there anyway, it doesn't take much room, and "do-do occurs." If it occurs in an overhead environment I'd really like to be able to see. One of my instructors noted that you can trap air in your hands to read your gauges. It's pretty easy two-handed but if you're hanging on with one it's much harder.

Call be paranoid but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me...
So it was a first stage diaphragm that blew out?
What reg if you don’t mind me asking?
I’m curious about the phenomenon of diaphragm regs and sudden HP seat failures.

I bought a new one, a Tusa. I was told not to bother doing the usual early cleaning stuff, and I didn't. I just defogged with spit usually, sometimes using someone's defog. I never had a problem, no matter how carelessly I treated the mask before diving. On the aforementioned trip to Fiji, as an experiment, I did not do any kind of pretreatment at all before a dive. No fogging. The last couple days of the trip, I just put my mask on and jumped in the water. No problem at all. I think new masks have superior lenses in terms of antifogging.

Out of curiosity, any chance your new Tusa mask has the adhesive film that is applied to the inside of the mask? My Tusa Zensee Pro came with this film included, which has been pretty good at remaining fog-free without the intensive pretreatment to remove silicone residue.

Out of curiosity, any chance your new Tusa mask has the adhesive film that is applied to the inside of the mask? My Tusa Zensee Pro came with this film included, which has been pretty good at remaining fog-free without the intensive pretreatment to remove silicone residue.
I have had it for a few yes now, and I don't remember. In fact, I don't remember anything along those lines.

Just as an additional point though, it is the only mask I have ever owned, regular or backup, whose original strap I have not replaced. It goes smoothly over whatever hair remains on my head, but, more importantly, I can go from a 7mm hood to no hood without adjusting it--it is that stretchy.

I frequently use a full face mask and it is customary to carry a conventional one as a backup, should there be any issue with the FFM -- and, for that purpose, I usually carry a Cressi-Sub "Super Occhio" as well as one of the late, great Cressi-Sub "Minima" (a discontinued free-diving model) as a backup for that second one, when I dive with regular masks . . .
Where do you stow your spare mask? I dive with a FFM, and I just switched from a jacket to wing BCD.

Where do you stow your spare mask? I dive with a FFM, and I just switched from a jacket to wing BCD.
The mask strap is attached to a carabiner on my BC, next to my gas switch manifold -- easily detached; or in a small add-on utility pocket . . .

Back
Top Bottom