What's wrong with spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know I could post this in the hunting/spearfishing group, but I thought it might be a more general question and would like to see what everyone thought.

This is what I heard about spearfishing...
1) You can only catch as much as you intend to eat
2) Spearfishers prefer not to use a tank as they believe it gives them an unnatural advantage
3) You cannot sell anything you catch or spearfish for commercial purposes.

So my question is thus. It seems to me that spearfishing is a moreover organic method of catching fish rather than commercial fishing. I'm aware that a large scale supermarket such as Sainsburys would not be able to catch enough fish to stock it's shops this way, but hear me out. On an ethical scale, isn't it better to catch and sell fish caught by spear rather than in nets? You don't damage other populations, you surely wouldn't catch more than you needed and the fish wouldn't suffer any more than it would if caught by net because it's a acase of shoot it and bring it to the surface where it would die of aphixiation anyway isn't it? I just can't see why people aren't allowed to sell fish they caught spearfishing - I'd rather buy fish caught this way because in my opinion, it's much more ethical. Anyone got a spin on this?

Your "rules" are not universal. Here in the USA we can & do hunt on scuba as well as without. And while it may not be true in all states, at least in some you can get a commercial license & sell fish taken by spearing, which you can't do with fish taken on a recreational license.

It is probably the most ecologically sound method of take in existance, simply due to the fact that you don't shoot it unless you want to. Bycatch is the least amount possible. It's also probably the least effeceint, when you consider what goes into it in terms of time, money & effort compared to other methods.

Just as a comparison, I spearfish, both on scuba & off, and I line fish sometimes. A day spearing will bring home some fish. A day with hook & line will bring home a pile of fish, as well as having the undesired aspect of having fish caught that must be released. Some of those will live, but not all. I can guarantee you that a fish that I don't shoot will have zero risk of dying because of my actions in pursuit of other fish.

I agree with everything you said, except for point #2. Freedive spearfishing has several advantages over scuba spearfishing. Also, there are many scuba spearfishermen.

If you'd like, I have several pictures of commercial fishing that I'll post. It'll disgust you.

Here in the states, you can get commercial spearfishing licenses. There are several teams in the gulf that do exactly that, but they still are outfished by longliners.

On my last H&L trip (which I don't do often), I was struck by the sheer number of vermillion snapper we had to release because they were too small. Most of them ended up floating behind the boat. That doesn't happen spearfishing.

Not true. There are bag limits though.

2) Spearfishers prefer not to use a tank as they believe it gives them an unnatural advantage
This depends on the diver. Many spearfisherman use scuba.

I believe this is true in FL where I am.

I do not think there is anything wrong with spearfishing provided that it is done safely, and that the catch is not wasted.

TOM

I believe in the bait factor, kill a fish and drag his bloody body on your side - when the shark bites, don't come back crying 8o.

But really, most diver enjoy the sight of fish, if you kill them, you are spoiling the fun for the others. I also believe that that spearfishing is not fair - too easy to kill the fishes.

Lamnid:
I know I could post this in the hunting/spearfishing group, but I thought it might be a more general question and would like to see what everyone thought.

Around here, scuba diving and spearfishing is illegal, you can only do freedive spearfishing. I believe this is the most ethical approach, though, as you do it for the thrill of the hunt, not quantity, plus your pray makes your catch and effort worthwhile.

I fail to see too much effort in spearfishing and scuba diving combined, you might as well sit there with a fork in your hand. :wink:

Plus, there are specific rules what kind of fish and of what size in which time of the year you can catch.

Of course, there are those who think this doesn't apply to them...

I want to try it but I would only want to kill something I would eat. It's totally illegal up here to spear fish. I don't know why. You have 10 ft vis on a good day.

I don't mind spearfishing, but I don't want to dive with people who do it. I find myself keeping an eye on them which interferes with the enjoyment of my dive. They also drive away the fish I want to look at or photograph. I think spearfishing should be segregated into dedicated trips.

Oh boy... here we go!

Many spearfishermen, myself included, shoot with and without tanks in the USA. The scuba spearfishing I do is very deep, for big challenging fish and often more than 100 miles offshore. Freedive spearfisherman have far more stealth ability than a scuba diver. Scuba divers can reach depths not possible for even the best freedivers to hunt.

Believe me, spearfishermen want to dive on our own, not with non-fishermen.

When I go to other countries I obey their laws. Freedivers with elitest attitudes usually have not thought about many aspects of their claims. For instance my buddies in the Bahamas would not bash Europeans who shoot with high powered spearguns in their own countries, even though only triggerless devices and breath holding are allowed in the Bahamas. Many countries failed to protect their resources as well as the Bahamas or the US have done. Don't blame the method, blame the law makers.

Many of these countries have no fish left because of poor regulation. It is not correct to blame the lack of fish in an area on one form of fishing, especially the least efficient method.

In Florida recreational fishermen can not sell fish. They must have a commercial license, and I know many that do.

There are many rules & regulations concerning methods, species and territories. Look them up for your area. http://myfwc.com/marine/regulation.htm Many species allowed by anglers are not allowed by spearos.

As the sport of diving began to flourish in the early eighties many companies and organizations painted spearfishering as an overall villainous sport. Nothing could be more incorrect. Spearfishing is the most selective form of fishing, and with proper laws both recreational and commercial spearfishing are not the targets they should have been aiming for.

Long lining came about at that same time, and along with fish traps, and gill nets, these methods are still in use in the oceans today.

The diving industry has matured quite a bit, but there are still many hold outs, that unjustly blame spearfishermen for huge declines in the marine environment. The real culprit besides other over-efficient unregulated fishing methods, is coastal developement and all the pollution that comes with it.

Chad

In Florida you can sell what you catch by spearfishing if you have the proper permits. Spearfishing on scuba is hardly easier than freediving. In fact if you drop on a site with just a snorkel the fish will come over and check you out while we all know that fish tend to flee a diver blowing bubbles.

It's sporting both ways, just different.

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom