What's wrong with spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I generally prefer not to dive with spearfishers (other than a few well-established buddies whose capabilities I know well), I have no problem with spearfishing itself. I used to do it myself 30 years ago and might have to again if the price of food gets much higher!

Hook-and-line often snags species that are undesired as food (such as opaleye in my region) and we all know the disasters of bottom trawls, gill nets and long lines.

I like the fact that good spearfishers KNOW what species they are targeting, whether it is of legal size and in season, and usually only take what they will eat. I've written at least two of my newspaper columns (including this week's) on the subject.

Lamnid:
sll good replies. I mean spearfishing is the most sustainable method by far. As a vegetarian I don't eat meat (and yes that includes fish - will people stop asking me that!), but I do support the food chain as it's what keeps nature in motion. I think that this is a nice way to bring things closer to how they're meant to be done - yes you're using a tool with the speargun but hey - at least you're getting your hands dirty and so are not a hypocritical feeder by allowing someone else to kill for you. I just like the concept.
My wife is a vegetarian as well (No she doesnt eat fish either and gets pissed off with getting asked that as well) and her opinion is similar to yours. You are getting down and dirty and having to work to get your food. Same with venison, pork etc.
The only way I am allowed to eat meat in the house (and not while she is home) is if I kill it myself.
Luckily for me I spearfish and hunt.

I have to admit when I first started diving I was pretty much against spearfishing until my brother got into the sport and introduced me to the group of guys that he hunts with. I was very impressed with how knowledgable and selective they are about the fish they hunt. As mentioned before, there is basically no bycatch and they are not dropping a lot of trash like people who fish on lines. They have seen a few sand tiger sharks, but the sharks weren't aggresive and just went on their way. My only concern is that it is basically solo diving cause they are concerned more with the hunt than what their buddy is doing and most of the time they split up. I think it is a sport you really shouldn't get into unless your an experienced diver. However, I don't think it is unethical.

Back
Top Bottom