What's wrong with being a recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a recreational diver. The OP is absolutely right when saying that there is plenty to see within recreational limits, and I think most of us agree on that point.

Having said that, people have many reasons to go int technical diving, just as people have many reasons to go into diving in the first place. Mostly it is because if gives you more options in the sense of different dive sites, but in many cases it may be because of a personal challenge. I do not think there is anything worng with that either.

In particular, seeking further training in order to improve your skills is a good idea because it allows you to enjoy your dives more and in a safer way. Having improved motion and buoyancy control frees your brain for other tasks and you will have better awareness of your surroundings which typically makes dives more enjoyable. That further training does not need to be technical in nature, of course.

So, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with being a recreational diver, but there is nothing wrong with technical training either. As long as you enjoy diving and you do it safely, just go for it!

Some of the worst divers I have ever dove with were "technical divers". In my opinion, it's like the guy who drives the huge car...compensating for something...:wink:

Some of the worst divers I have ever dove with were "technical divers". In my opinion, it's like the guy who drives the huge car...compensating for something...:wink:

Can you explain why you had a bad experience with some tech divers?

What events or attitudes lead to this?

Being recreational diver nothing wrong about it (Actually I am and I love it) but I think is how far you want to go; I would like to be a tech diver just to dive into cenotes, caves and deep wrecks; nevertheless, the best dives I've ever had were always at less than 90 feet.

Back
Top Bottom